Chapter 14

"Happy early birthday, Harry!" the twins sang as soon as they stepped out of the fireplace, each holding a wrapped gift and wearing muggle clothing (a precaution in case any muggles show up unannounced). They had come a few minutes early, but that was perfectly fine with Harry.

"Thanks guys!" Harry said with a warm smile.

The twins set their presents down on the table set up for them and each pulled Harry into a brotherly hug. "How is our little Harrykins?" George teased as he ruffled Harry's hair.

"Just fine, thanks, George," Harry said. "D'you know if Alex is coming? I didn't get an RSVP."

George and Fred exchanged glances that Harry didn't miss. "Well, see—"

"He owled us," Fred said. "Apparently, he made the mistake of asking his mum about coming right after telling her about you."

George nodded solemnly. "She was furious that he dared to associate with 'a disgrace' and refused to let him respond."

Harry frowned. "So, he's not coming?"

"Not so fast with the assumptions, Harrykins," Fred teased.

"Yeah. He went to his dad about it and James said he could come, but he had to come with in order to disguise the time as father-son bonding time."

Harry winced at the thought of how well that would go down with Sirius and his father. Remus would be more okay with it, but he still wouldn't be happy either. "Father, Remy, Pads! James is coming with Alex," he called deeper into the house.

There was the muffled sound of cursing from Severus and Harry laughed, knowing exactly why his father was cursing. The potions master put a lot of effort into making sure most people saw him as some scary, mysterious person. Catching him in his muggle T-shirt and jeans was probably not something he could handle James doing.

Draco walked into the room and smiled at the twins. "Hey Gred, Hey Forge."

"Dragon!" the twins cheered, ruffling Draco's perfectly combed hair.

"Hey!" Draco protested. "Not the hair!"

The fireplace flared again, and Neville stepped out with his grandmother by his side. Almost immediately, he was engulfed in a hug from the twins while Harry greeted his grandmother. "Greetings, Lady Longbottom. Welcome to my home."

"Call me Augusta, Heir Prince," she said kindly.

"Then, call me Harrison or Harry, Augusta." He smiled charmingly before turning to Neville, who handed him a gift, which he put on the gift table. "Hey, Nev! Let's move out of the way of the fireplace, shall we?"

They moved just in time, because the fireplace flared again, depositing two figures that Harry had been nervously awaiting the arrival of. Alex and James Potter.

He bowed to James. "Welcome to my home, Lord Potter," he greeted charmingly, putting all of his acting skills to use to hide his nerves.

"Call me James," the man said, a sad look in his eyes.

"Call me Harry, then," he said with a welcoming smile. Everyone else came through soon enough and the room was starting to get crowded. "Why don't we all head to the sitting room?"

They moved to the sitting room, where Severus sat with Sirius and Remus. He looked up upon their entrance and smiled at Harry before glaring at James.

"So, what do we want to do first?" Harry asked after everyone was seated in a circle on the floor while the adults took the furniture.

"How about truth or dare?" Hermione suggested with a sly smile.

"Good idea!" Harry agreed. "I'll get a bottle!"

He got up and went to the kitchen, returning with an empty glass bottle and setting in on the ground in the center of their circle.

"What's truth or dare?" Daphne asked hesitantly.

Dudley snorted and Hermione giggled but explained the rules of the game. The adults were roped into sitting in their circle and playing as well. The game was a lot of fun for everyone, but the sad gleam in James's eyes never left.

After the game was over, Alex insisted on opening presents, so the presents were brought into the sitting room and Harry was sat on an armchair while Dudley took over the job of handing him presents.

From his friends, he got a few new books on subjects he was interested in, a journal, some pranking supplies, a self-writing quill, and a rune carving set. From his father, he got a new potions kit and an advanced book on brewing. From Sirius and Remus, he got a new broom to take with him to Hogwarts.

The most surprising thing, however, was that James had gotten him a gift separate from Alex's. When he opened the small box, he was surprised to find a cloak made of silvery fabric.

"It's an invisibility cloak," James explained. "A family heirloom. It hides all traces of you, rather than just make you invisible."

Harry blinked in surprise at the fact that he was being given a Potter heirloom, even after being disowned. "Thank you," he said softly.

James smiled sadly. "You're welcome."

After gifts, they played some more games and had some snacks that Harry had prepared. Then, it was time for cake. They all gathered around the table and sang happy birthday to Harry before he blew out the candles, wishing that he could stay this happy forever.

After cake, it was getting late, so everyone left to return to their homes. Well, everyone except James and Alex, who stayed behind for a few minutes.

"Harry, I know this probably means nothing to you now, but I would have never given you away. I always loved you as my own, even though I was near certain you weren't mine," James said sincerely. "I am sorry for what Lily did to you."

Harry smiled kindly and embraced James. "I forgive you," he said softly.

The smile James gave him just then made all the difference, and Harry knew he could never hold Lily's actions and James's silence against him.