Chapter 7: Calm Before the Storm.

[A/N: i decided that blue monday will be published as soon as I'm done with the first movie. also in the first chapter we mentioned clara's middle name as liberty, looking back at it, i don't quite like that middle name. so i changed it to Theodora, which makes perfect for a nickname like teddy. :3]

She was all ready to speak with Optimus once they headed off, but then she admittedly froze. This wasn't like her confronting some idiot doctor or having a firm conversation with a family member about the realities of an outcome. All of that made her miss being a graduate student who wasn't responsible for someone's life or research that could save lives. At the same time, though, she'd rather speak with Optimus than tell someone their family member died or has months to live. Clara bounced her leg anxiously, trying to find what was the right first word to say. Optimus barely understood anything about humans, but connecting to the internet to learn everything gave him minimal insight. It was just enough for him to see she was anxious. "You are anxious," Optimus noted in his deep voice, Clara immediately stopped her leg bouncing the minute he noticed.

"Yeah...see I talked to a big game for you to agree, but I am pretty bad about talking to strangers about shit." Clara coughed awkwardly, her eyes glancing around the interior of Optimus's cab. "It's a me problem that's fantastic and Mirage likes to point it out, especially since I'm a doctor." She muttered with sarcasm and she suddenly felt a low rumble resembling a chuckle. Did she...just make Optimus Prime laugh? And they only met like thirty minutes ago. Guess he was a fan of her sarcasm.

"I see." Optimus hummed and Clara exhaled, rubbing the palms of her hands on her legs. "Doctor Grey, I understand why you wish to speak to me. You care for the children. They are your responsibility." He said calmly, hoping his tone and approach would relax her. She was just used to Mirage at this point, Optimus knew he was very different from Mirage and that could be intimidating.

"Yes, partially. That and other things, Prime." Clara swallowed hard and if she could see his face, she would see the frown on it. He was wondering what exactly was the other things. She bit the inside of her cheek and took a quiet breath, shaking her head slightly. "If they get involved past the giving the glasses to you deal, they're my responsibility." She stated coolly, Clara had no intentions to be snippy or anything of the like with Optimus unless he gave her a reason. Being firm or stern with him to get him to listen to her was one thing.

"Of course, I understand." Optimus hummed.

"They're my kids, my responsibility. Just like the autobots with you, especially Mirage and Bee as the youngest of the autobots." She spoke with a calm breath, finally beginning to feel the anxiety ease away now that she finally began to discuss what she wanted to. "When their parents aren't around, I'm the parent. I don't want anything to happen to them, I won't allow that to happen. I know involvement with the autobots can and will be dangerous." Clara made her stance clear and Optimus respected that, he respected that the first thing that was important on her mind was her charge's safety and livelihood. He felt the same with the autobots, Mirage and Bumblebee more so as the youngest. When he had decided to send them away to Earth, he questioned his decision, but a part of him also realized that it was safer on Earth even with potential threats from humans than war-torn Cybertron.

"Doctor Grey-" Optimus began to say but Clara cut him off.

"Grey-I mean Clara. You can call me Clara." An awkward silence came from her interruption which made her shuffle where she sat.

"Of course...Clara." Optimus mirrors, testing her name with a small hum. "You may call me Optimus then, you do not need to call me Prime. We are allies." He adds and Clara clicks her tongue and nods. She appreciated that he didn't insist on formality. "The safety of the younglings is as important to me as it is to you. I have no intentions to put them in the way of harm." Optimus' voice was oddly soothing for her as he assured her.