SEVEN • VII

❝ VII : time to be alive ❞︶ ͡ ۫ ˓ ʚ•°♛°•ɞ ˒ ۫ ͡ ︶

︶ ͡ ۫ ˓ ʚ•°♛°•ɞ ˒ ۫ ͡ ︶

SUNGHOON HAD BECOME ACCUSTOMED TO THE PRINCE'S FREQUENT ANTICS, risking both himself and everyone around him to the wrath of the Queen. However, Sunghoon could not bring himself to express his lament in the sense that he understood why. The palace was cold, cruel, and troubled the mind of those within its walls in more ways than one. Everyone there always seemed on edge to Sunghoon, floating along it's corridors as lost souls until it came to the Prince himself.

He had been deemed a miracle, a boy blessed by the Gods themselves and a boy to be worshipped, thought to be superior to all who reside within Decelis. Yet, instead of a God, they treat Heeseung as though he were a disease, avoiding him like the plague whenever he would pass them.

Their scornful nature hadn't failed to irk the groundskeeper. Brainless fools, he would mutter under his breath. Consequently, he does not blame Heeseung for wanting a few hours away from it all.

This was not the first time that the prince had slipped under his mother's watch and out of the palace, accompanying Sunghoon on his travels whenever he was able to. Only today, they are three, rather than two.

Eru sits, crushed between the carriage door and Sunghoon's broad shoulder as she observes the boy sitting opposite them. The groundskeeper was not lying when he said he was a quiet soul; for this stranger hadn't uttered a word since their first encounter (and she does not expect he intends to do so anytime soon). Her eyes wander over his casual attire: a simple dress shirt beneath a coat much like Sunghoon's, only black, as well as donning a silver pendant around his neck. She wonders who he is, what his purpose on palace grounds is. Eru had never seen his face beforeー he intrigues her.

If we get off at East Lane, that should make our journey less hectic,” the groundskeeper starts, skillfully gesturing with his hands as he spoke. His averts his gaze from the quiet boy to Eru. “I have a friend in town who I don't doubt would be willing to help you pick some clothes. She's friendly so refrain from worrying.”

Sunghoon's words bear a sense of reassurance, readying the girl for what this trip has in store for them. He glances at his friend for a short moment, before turning back to Eru once he sees that the passing landscape has captured his attention. Leaning closer to her ear, he parts his lips. “There will be a lot of people, so stay close to me, okay? If worst comes to worst, look for Heeseung,” he murmurs, even if the said boy cannot hear.

Heeseung,’ that's his nameー

As wary as she is, Eru nods nonetheless.

ﻬ꜆

The remainder of the journey had been undeniably dull, even for Eru's first time on any sort of human transportation. Sunghoon would occasionally strike up small conversations with her to pass the time, telling her stories of the buildings they would pass, even so, that was as enthralling as it could get amidst the trotting of horse hooves and the clattering of the carriage's wheels against the gravel.