FOUR • IV

❝ IV : you'll be okay ❞︶ ͡ ۫ ˓ ʚ•°♛°•ɞ ˒ ۫ ͡ ︶

︶ ͡ ۫ ˓ ʚ•°♛°•ɞ ˒ ۫ ͡ ︶

ERU HAD ALWAYS BEEN WARNED OF MAN'S UNKINDNESS; of the hurt and detriment they inflict on the innocent. Their world is full of hatredー a sinful path of which there is always the temptation to walk it's platter of logical and compelling reasons, ones that boost egos and frame false-heroes. They hate because they believe they are superior, and if you are found different from them, then you are predestined to be destroyed.

Man is the root of all evil.

It just so happened Eru is naiveー unchecked innocence that provoked her to fly a little too close to the flames.

Her eyelids crack open, like they had been moulded shut by soil for a millennium, and her limbs flex in shock. There is pain in them, around her entire body too. It shoots through her like a bolt of electricity as she stiffly sits upー sharp and unforgiving in the way it cuts through bruised, blood-mantled skin and muscle. She winces, gripping her abdomen before her eyes widen in horror at the sight of the unfamiliar location of where she finds herself. There is binding on her limbs and around her neck, attached to a metallic structure that stretches high above her head.

At once, the initial ache soon burgeons into agony the more Eru gains consciousness. Her shaky hands move to trace over the aftermathー mouth hanging open with cracked lips. Her breathing hastens at the sight of blood.

Blood,

Blood.

So much blood.

The faerie is sullied; pitted in crimson, burns and cuts scattered on every inch of her skin from her assailants. Tears threaten to spill from her eyes as she chokes back her cries.

Then it happens. She feels it.

It tingles at first, before developing into something much more excruciating. It burns, as though the skin on her back had been ripped, then set alight for the flames to charr her flesh into a patch of seared bone. Subconsciously, Eru goes to touch her wings, yet her fingertips only meet with the bitter air. Disarray and overwhelm clouds the faerie's thoughts as she hesitantly takes a glance over her shoulders.

Eru cannot help the sob that falls past her lips.

Her wings are not there.

They are stolen.

Man's detriment has claimed her.

Her head spirals into an amalgam of hysteria and disbelief as she staresー eyes bloodshotー down at the dearth of her wings with incredulity. Her beautiful wings. Gone. It is this moment she discerns the reality in which she will never be able to fly again; she will never be free.

Without a conscious thought, a choice, her body does what any must to survive. She lifts her legs, clutching her knees close to her chest and hides herself within them; an infant exposed and powerless in this foreign place.