TWO • II

❝ II : fallen ❞︶ ͡ ۫ ˓ ʚ•°♛°•ɞ ˒ ۫ ͡ ︶

❝ II : fallen
︶ ͡ ۫ ˓ ʚ•°♛°•ɞ ˒ ۫ ͡ ︶

ERU WAKES IN THE EARLY HOURS OF MORN, rising before daybreak and greeted by a mottle of baby blue and white, blended to adorn the newborn sky. Nobody stirs at this hour; not even the birds.

Jake is not next to her when she opens her eyes, and she cannot help but feel doleful upon the sudden lack of his presence when she reaches to touch the trodden grass where his body used to lay, only to find the shell he had left. She sighsー accustomed to this by now. He never stays until morning.

Pushing past the disappointment, her arms outstretched to press tender fingertips up against the clouds, sitting up from her position in the meadow and noting how still the forest is. She savors this moment, for she knows that within a few hours the sun will kiss the horizon and the Folk will wake to bless Wakewood with their songs for yet another day.

The peach tree is the first to come to mind as Eru standsー and it is at this moment that she thinks of visiting before breakfast with the other Faeries. It would not be her first time arriving after the first sparrow's song, but keeping her lateness to a minimum is something she strives for, so she promises herself that she'll only be quick.

Henceforth, with her great, outstretched wings, Eru takes to the skies. Higher and higher she soars, taking in the way the lake and trees seem to knit together the further she strays from the ground, until the obscure line that separates them becomes patent beyond doubt.

The air is fresher up here too, cool against her skin that her lungs expand as if on automatic refill, and with the rising of her chest comes a sense of undisturbed serene. Though she'd give up a lifetime to stay this way, she understands it is simply not possible. Thus, she moves ever onward; in the hallowed space between the Heavens and Earth. Light breaks from the horizon and her silver wings are inevitably a sight; an angel fated to serve the land.

Trees below her roll, until finally she gets a glimpse of the thorn border in the far distance.

"Close," she countersー and with one final sweep of her wings, she descends, falling suavely with the gale as it whistles in her ears. She laughs, amused by its blague before something catches in near eyesight.

In the midst of a hill and the winds, stands the peach tree. Naturally, the corners of her mouth curl into an amiable smile as her feet finally reunite with the ground. Slowly, Eru advancesー taking in the way her teeming branches stretch skyward towards the ether, and her bark, so patterned as if carved by her own rain-born flash rivers. There was pride in the way she held herself, towering above Eru like a Goddess with centuries of lives and tales to shape her spiel.

"Good Morning, Beautiful Lady," Eru addresses the tree softly, and there is a glint of marvel within her irises as she regards the way the peaches appear to be thriving significantly more than her previous visit a week ago. She lifts a gentle hand to touch the wooden folds of the trunk and smiles at how the tallest of branches dance with the breezeー as if equally delighted to see the Faerie.