ONE • I

❝ I : seashells ❞︶ ͡ ۫ ˓ ʚ•°♛°•ɞ ˒ ۫ ͡ ︶

❝ I : seashells
︶ ͡ ۫ ˓ ʚ•°♛°•ɞ ˒ ۫ ͡ ︶

DARTING SHAPES DANCE ACROSS THE CURRENTS, placid and still warm from the balmy afternoon of a late summer's day. The water is as clear as the heavens above her head that she can see her feet beneath the brookー watching as a shoal of minnows weave their way through rocks and gardens of pond weedー letting out soft choruses of giggles when one finds itself lost from the rest.

Above her, a goldfinch cuts through the air. She greets him with a curt nod of her head before watching as he takes off into the treesー his wings beating erratically against his breast while the wind steers him around branches and thorns, never letting him falter. Not for a fleeting second.

She leans back as her shoulders meet with the grass she had been lazing on, the surface pleasantly tepid. Evenings such as these were Eru's favourite. Where serenity fell amongst every wonderful creature of Fae in Wakewood and she could finally rest her aching legs, for exhaustion had seized every fibre of her being after a long day of dancing through wild flowers and picking peaches from the peach tree.

A content sigh rolls off her pink petal lips as she awaits the starlight, feeling the cool breeze against her sun-kissed skin and smiling as promised rays stretch across her porcelain wings. It doesn't take long for her eyelids grow heavy, fluttering shut as, in the fullness of time, consciousness slowly ebbs from her.

There is a moment of tranquilityー the distant sound of trickling water easing Eru into Dreamland. Then, came a stir from the bank.

"Well, isn't this a pleasant surprise."

Eru's eyes shoot open. She fumbles to sit up straight subsequent to hearing his deep, familiar voice. "Jake! Oh my gosh, you're back!" She exclaims, standing up eagerly to engulf her friend into a tight, yet welcoming, embrace. "What on earth are you doing here? I thought you were still at sea for another month?"

The excitement in her tone makes the former laugh as he reciprocates her action and wraps his arms softly around her waist. "We ran into a disturbance on our way to Decelisー Piratesー they attacked us. We tried to fight back, but there were too many of them so, in the end, we decided just to cut the journey short in order to keep the other sirens safe."

Eru pulls away momentarily. Her eyes are wide in dismay and Jake is quick to apprehend the concern in her expression. In response, he smiles. "Everyone is safe, don't worry," he drawled as he raises a gentle hand to cup her cheek, "Jungwon and Cyris are resting and the others aren't far behind. I don't think Leviathan will mind us missing this year's moon."

Relief immediately washes over Eru before she catches him in her arms once more.

She sighs into the crook of his neck. "It's been so lonely without you..." she mumbles. Although in Wakewood she is surrounded by such lifeー from scheming pixies and excruciatingly indolent mud trolls, to the great dragons that reside in the very heart of the mountainsー Eru cannot help but feel forlorn. Subconsciously, she holds onto Jake a little tighter, scared as if she were to let go then he would disappear for another six months.