The Goat

I sat down on Kerri's bed and flipped the book over in my hands.  The cover had a picture of a sun on it with a face.  It made me think of all the suns with sunglasses I used to draw in the corner of my pictures as a kid.  The back had a photo of the author and she looked exactly like I imagines someone who believed in astrology would. 

For as little as I knew about astrology I did know I was a Capricorn.  My friends had read me my horoscope from time to when they had gotten their hands a magazine, but that was just for fun.  I ran a finger down the table of contents.  "Capricorn, Capricorn," I repeated until I spotted it ... last.  I flipped to the page, "A goat? I'm a fricken goat?" I was already offended. 

I thought for sure I'd have a cool mascot and flipped back through the previous chapters to see if anyone had cooler one.  I didn't return to my chapter any happier than when I left it.  There were definitely better animals and warriors out there representing the other signs. Fricken goat. 

Right off the hop I could see that this book was onto something hardworking, ambitious, responsible: check check, check.  I had to agree, but really don't we all accept positive attributes as truth without question.  I read on and realized I rolled my eyes, stubborn, workaholic, pessimistic.  "And here I thought I was just an asshole," I let out a derisive half laugh that wasn't meant of anyone, but I hoped the author could sense how lame listing generic attributes was.  These could literally describe anyone. Everyone held a grudge sometimes. I did have to admit though, I did hold them better and longer than most.

I convinced myself how dumb this all was until it was two in the morning.  At this point I had not only read the entire chapter on Capricorns.  I had also looked up my sisters, my roommates, my parents and of course Jared.  Time had just vanished.  By the time I closed the book setting it on Kerri's nightstand I was exhausted.  Crutching up the stairs was out of the question so I just flicked off the light and crawled into Keri's bed. 

The next day my sisters arrived.  Kerri had graduated last year and was now a full fledged scientist.  Of course she'd left Saskatchewan as part of the brain drain and was enjoying the balmy chinooks at the base of the Rocky Mountains in Calgary.  Steph loved roller derby and the environment. She was the only one brave enough out of us three to dye her hair a non hair colour.  Just to be different she chose to go to university in Regina.  

My mom and dad were thrilled to have everybody home.  "Jen I'm gonna need you to head over to the farm around 2 pm to help gramma get supper on." "Ya, no problem," It was a nice way to get out of the house so my mom could make me a birthday cake.  I turned to Steph, "You coming to help?"  "No I have to wrap all my presents," she shrugged.  Kerri would be the gopher as always.  Since she was the oldest and got her license first she had been given the job and never retired.  I didn't mind though it was a really nice way to spend some time alone with my grandparents.

The 24th was upon us and it was Christmas, well for us.  "It's so nice we're having Christmas early so I can have my birthday," I smirked.  My mom started in as soon as I finished,  "That's not why we do it," my mom said,  "you're Norwegian.  It's how we do things." The supper, the presents the wine, it would all be done Christmas Eve and even as young adults we'd wake up to a stocking from Santa.  I touched my lips, "I hope I get lip chap from Santa this year."  "You'll see," was all my mom said.