Chapter 42

The big blast was heard all across the base. For a moment, the night turned into day as the blinding flash engulfed the whole building, as well as the upper levels. It felt as if thunder tore apart the sky for just one second, then a peaceful silence fell upon the military quarters. Medic rushed down the stairs from the infirmary, to the main exit. Her mind was racing through all possibilities of what in Creator's name had happened.
The night was so peaceful too... she was checking up on Frost Spirit. The poor young man had been suffering from a horrible insomnia the past two nights, not even during the afternoon could he close an eye to relax. Alongside his odd restlessness were also some grueling headaches from his fresh wound. It was not a fatal blow but it was enough to bring him heavy discomfort. Not to mention the uneasiness he felt whenever his grandfather did so much as to walk by. Frost seemed truly shattered by his elder's wrongful actions and terrifying anger.

He was just as mortified as she was when the explosion was heard, hugging little Ducky Doom so protectively, as if someone or something was going to rip him away at any given moment. Molten too then entered the hospital room from the hall over, a few tears prickling at his eyes as he struggled to calm himself, barely hanging on to his crutches.

After Medic made sure they were all ok, she hurried off to figure out where that noise came from. Having left the main building, which was still intact, she surveyed the surrounding area, rain pouring outside from the darkened sky. The training grounds were fine, the hangers were ok, the control towers were also...So.. It couldn't have been outside... Anywhere else, maybe... Somewhere underground? ...The garage came to mind but what could have-... But that could mean... The portal!

She sped up, as hope bubbled up in her heart, disregarding Warden and Accelerator's cries for her to not enter the possible danger zone. They followed her to the garage's front entrance where a distressed Lord Sinister could be seen pacing around as he tried to get the soldiers to let him through. Medic gave the order for them to move aside and after little to no hesitation, they offered her clearence. Beckoning Sinister to come with her, she made her way down the staircase, her heart beating faster and faster as they got closer to the truth... What could that explosion have been?... Did... Did.. Void Reaver choose to finish the job? Finally destroying the sacred gateway..? No... Couldn't have been... She saw him round the corner not far from the infirmary earlier... He looked just as spooked.. Swordmaster as well... Then could it really be... them?

Medic screeched to a halt as she decended the last stair. Her eyes scanned the room, it wasn't hard to notice that two oddly beaten up vehicles with scrapes and dents all over them appeared out of nowhere... A jeep with the military's insignia barely visible...and an ATV... Just like the one the kids had apparently modified.. The jeep Fallen King and Commander were in when the portal closed down... But that meant.. That-

She froze at the sound of clanking boots on the concrete ground, a figure emerging from behind the jeep. The military emblem on his cap, the dark blue camo ski suit, the sunshades covering his eyes above his rosy frost bitten cheeks...He.. He was...alive.

"COMMANDER!"

Medic rushed to her lover, who shared the same enthusiasm the moment he locked eyes with her. Commander tucked back his injured limb behind his coat, carefully redirecting her into his one good arm for a hug he wished could have lasted forever. She squeezed him, closing her eyes shut as to not cry tears of relief. Pressing a kiss on his lips, she eventually broke off the loving embrace, her hand mindlessly reaching for his wounded arm as her eyes never left his.