Chapter 22

TW: Injury and broken bones
(light mention nothing too detailed)

It had been almost two hours since
they had arrived back at the cabin. The atmosphere was tense...to say the least. Krampus was mostly upstairs, getting his brother changed into some warm clothes and managing his injuries. It was a lot worse than he initially thought... The area on his left side where the ribs stopped was swollen, when he pressed it lightly he could almost feel the cracked bone moving. It had two deep cuts ranging across it, almost seemed like something ripped at the skin, perhaps a sharp twig...or a claw. The man was getting more and more worried the longer he studied the wounds, Fallen not giving any signs of waking up was not helping either. He had yet to even open his eyes ever since they found him under the snow. But... seeing his brother cuddled up in the blanket, sleeping ever so peacefully on the soft pillow did soothe his horrible hunch. He brushed the hair away from his face trying not disturb the relaxed Titan, the fear he must have gone through...he wouldn't even want to imagine. Krampus quickly decided it was about half time he headed down despite his older brother instinct yelling at him to stay. Putting the med kit away, he closed the door behind him with a small click allowing his wounded brother to rest.

He looked around the room from the upper floor, gazing towards the older Tower that sat at his table. His arm was wrapped up in bandages with a makeshift cast holding it in place. Next to him was Scout, the boy seemed nervous, looking up at his superior as if waiting to get an earful any minute now. Then the last was Gravedigger, poor child with a tear stained face, his head was somewhere else, not in the present but perhaps in the past, searching for a happier time.

The Titan sighed, making his way down the stairs. No one was talking. However, Grave did snap out of his trance, locking eyes with his uncle expectingly. Krampus caught on pretty quick what he was waiting for.

"He hasn't woken up yet, kiddo"

The sorrow in the child's eyes tore apart his heart, without a word the boy just placed his head on his arms, resting on the table.

It was quiet again... Uncomfortably quiet... Everyone had so much to say, he could feel it, yet no one said anything.. Not even the energetic Scout, nevertheless, it was his eyes betraying him this time not his mouth. Scout scanned Krampus, the Titan giving him a small encouraging nod. He knew he had to talk with his commander but it was just so...scary. When they left on this adventure, neither really thought what it would be like when they came back. Though, the young soldier did go over the scenario of being dishonorably discharged from the army many, many times before, he was not ready to hear it first hand especially after everything they had done to get here. He braced himself before returning the nod, Krampus placing a hand on Grave's shoulder and leading him to another room. They left the two Towers alone, much to the dismay of the smaller one.

Scout took a deep breath as he began, "... Commander.. Sir, I - I know Grave and I are in a lot of trouble... B- But-"

"Why?"

Commander had refused to look at Scout, not even a word being spoken between them since they had arrived. So the sudden response was enough to throw Scout off balance. He stopped, staring up at the man, "W- What..?"

"Why did you do it?" asked his superior bluntly.

"W-Well Gravedigger needed help and he - he is my friend and-"

"Was it because of him?"

Scout turned away at the mention, realizing who Commander was trully refering to. A few tears stung the corners of his eyes, refusing to stop.

"Scout, look at me."

He reluctantly did as ordered. The boy knew the longer he stalled the angrier his leader would be.

"Was it because of your father?"

"...."

"Answer me, soldier."

"It's - it's not fair!"

Commander paused a small "Huh?" was all he could muster.

"What they did to Krampus, w- was not fair! What they did to Frost Spirit was not fair! He had to live without his father for years! And for-for what?!
What did that solve?! There is still a war, Titans and Towers still fighting a - and! " Scout could not finish his sentence as the tears started rolling down his cheeks, sharp breaths escaping his sore chest, a pain too familiar to forget.

The child's outburst made Commander freeze for a second, he never was good at comforting a crying person. He himself had too many tears left to dry over the decades, always being "advised" by his father to suck it up and deal with it. Nonetheless, he knew this was not what the kid needed, so he pulled Scout into his arms. Hestitating for a moment to show this vulnerable side despite hating his own father for pressuring him to be like this. The muffled sobs of the child made him tighten his grip around him immediately. This was his godson whom he was comforting after all.

"Scott, your father was a great man. A man who did not deserve the tragic end he was given...." The man swallowed the lump in his throat before continuing, "However, I do not want you to feel like you are forced to step into his shoes.. I know you entered the military to honour him, kid... And you know what?"

".. W- What?

"After everything you went through to become a soldier... Even as far as to reunite another father with his son... He would be so, so proud of you and I am as well. "

Scout stared up at the man, keeping his arms around him. The warm reaction was not something he was expecting whatsoever. All he could think about was the punishment he was going to get for sneaking away, the screaming lecture he would have had to endure like all the other soldiers from their troop.

Scout blinked skeptically, "You... You are n-not mad?"

"... At first? Yes. I was furious." The tower smirked at his godson's wide eyes. "But...I understand why you did it... For another child to have his father and for your friend to have his uncle... That was very noble of you to do... You achieved something most of our soldiers wouldn't dare to try let alone to succeed... Though, it was a little out there for two children to go out on their own, trying to find a man who might be dead...but you did it... somehow..? And a young man might get his parent back because of that... "

Scout's face lit up a little, " O- Ohh! "

Commander raised his finger, " I am not done. You two did steal military equipment.. That I cannot forgive"

The boy grinned, "Way to ruin the moment, sir".

The man displaying a cheeky smirk responded, "I have agreed the Engineer would be the one deciding your punishment alongside Grave, with his dad's permission. You have to wait and see what it exactly is 'cause I don't even know that."

"OK. Fineee." gigled Scout. His godfather ruffled his hair earning a loud "Hey!" in return before a whole hearted laugh.

Krampus smiled, hearing their playful chatter from beyond the door.
He knew Scout meant well but he underestimated just how kind of a soul the young man trully was. He made it a point in his mind to thank him personally when he gets the chance. Right now, however, Gravedigger was the one who needed him most.

....

Author's note: a lot of heart to heart convos will take place over the next few chapters, perhaps even some new friendships will be formed. But updates will go back to their slower pace.