Chapter 23

Krampus turned back to the bed. His nephew was craddled, facing away from him. The boy was staring out through the window. He could vaguely see some tears around his eyes. What a horrible set of events to cast upon the soul of a small child... Who would be so cruel as to force him to endure it? He couldn't help but feel somewhat at fault. If he had not been so careless perhaps he would have still been by his family's side all these years. He shook off the idea, guilt stinging his heavy heart. Krampus walked over, taking a seat next to the child. He did what he would always do to Frost Spirit whenever he was upset, coax him into talking about it.

"Hey champ, what's wrong?"

He could hear the boy muffle under his breath, something unclear.

His hand lightly rubbed the boy's back as he struggled to find his words, "... Your father will be alright if that is what is worring you... He is a resilient fighter, you know that."

Still nothing. This child was even harder to crack than his own son.
They stayed in pure silence, each one deep in thought. Right as Krampus was about to say something, Grave took his chance.

"... Do you think he hates me? "

Krampus paused, blinking idly,
"... What?"

"You know... Father..? Do you think he hates me?"

The man turned to the child in shock, "My boy, how could speak of such thing?! My brother sees you as his own flesh and blood, his son. If he did not love you, he would not be here."

Gravedigger sat up rapidly startling his uncle, "But I caused so much trouble! Surely-"

The man pressed a finger atop his mouth, "No. Stop. Listen to me. My brother does not take risks unless whatever is on the line means the absolute world to him... This expedition alone was a huge risk. One that could have costed him his life... If he did not care about you, he would have left you here. "

" Yeah...almost... I almost took Molten's father away... "

"... He is not just Molten's. He is yours as well. And there is not a day that goes by when Fallen doesn't think about you too... Kid, he doesn't know how to approach you... You were so scared of him before... But that does not mean he hates you, not even close. You hear me? "

Garve sighed in defeat, " Yes but-"

"No but. He loves you, get that in your head. Alright?"

"... Yes uncle."

"Good. Now, here is what we are going to do, let me talk to him first when he wakes up. He will probably be disoriented and confused, after I set him straight you can go speak to him. I am sure he has a lot to say to you. Is that ok?"

The boy gave a weak nod, "Yeah... Just hope he doesn't react too badly when he see me."

"You'll be fine! You know Fallen is not quick to anger... He is one of the most patient people I know. And I am sure, if anything, he is more worried than ticked off." he finished with a small pat on the head.

Grave allowed himself to show a shy smile, "Thank you, uncle".

Krampus wrapped his arms around the young Titan, embracing him.
As he pressed his head against the child's he whispered, "Anytime"