6. Mrs. Shocked

I was feeling a lot better when I opened my eyes in the morning. I hate how hard it is to leave the bed. I could hear voices of my parents from downstairs and then turned to look at the time. My eyes widened when I saw it was nine in the morning. I had to go and cook breakfast for my father in law. He had specifically asked me to do that. I hastily removed the duvet upon me and looked by my side to see no one there, but the traces on the messed up bedsheet.

Making up my bed in record time, I ran towards the washroom to take a shower. When I came back, my eyes directly fell on the note sticking near my dressing table.

It said, "Ma and Papa will not have any breakfast because I have to take them for their checkup. I'll be home by 11. Be ready by then. Sanvi has already packed our bags."

Checkup? What checkup?

I went towards my study table and picked up the phone, immediately calling my mother in law.

She picked it up after four rings, "Yes Beta?"

"Ma? You and Papa are gone for check up? What happened?"

She chuckled, "Don't worry beta...we only had minor issues...so Bihan suggested a whole body checkup..", and then she whispered, "Both father and son are bonding over diabetes and blood pressure."

That made me smile, "That's good to hear. Papa is opening up."

"He is."

"Ma? You both might not have had anything today?"

She sighed, "Nothing but a warm glass of water. Your husband also came that way. Wait. What about you? He was telling us you were not well.."

"I am fine now. It was nothing. Well, come back soon, I'll keep some food ready."

"No beta...get ready for your trip...tell some servant to cook something lighter. That's it."

I agreed although I was going to cook myself.

Greeting both my parents, I went to my other home and started cooking. Sanvi and Shanu were already gone for college. And when I went to my room, I already saw our bags packed and kept neatly on the side. Too eager to run from here.

I did not open Ashima's messages knowingly because I was guilty like never before. I was ditching my friend a day before her wedding functions start. As much as it hurt me to do that to her, I do not want to gather more accusations from him.

Him? I never thought of this when he confronted me yesterday. He thought I refused him for a relationship because I liked someone else. And that someone else was no one but a person I call my friend. On top of that, he thought I was here, living the best of my life while I was here living like a broken lover. If people were not sure of our lo... whatever we had, they were sure after seeing me sulking. And he says I was here enjoying my life. I left the neighborhood as soon as I left the college, heck I even left the city unless Nanasa died and I had no other option but to return back here.

I always thought I think more than I should. But the problem was he thought of his feelings in our friendship, as superior than mine. According to him, our friendship had no value to me, whereas I was dreaming of the happily ever after, where I saw no one else but him. I even regretted my reply after he left even though I was not wrong at my place. I even contemplated what would have happened if I said yes to him. I was scared of relationships- the teenage relationships. The stage when we think more through our hormones and less through our brains. The stage when not receiving a reply for a message results into a breakup. Or the stage when kissing and making out regularly is how you express your love. I did not want my friendship with Bihan to turn into a relationship of that sort. And so, I said what I thought was the best. No. But he only cared of the humiliation he faced after my reply. He did not think of giving me a chance to explain my answer. After he left, everybody, atleast in the college, knew what I felt for him. They were sure I loved him more than anyone would. And they regretted laughing. But the damage was done. Bihan was no more with me.