4. Mrs. Hurt

I was downstairs preparing the breakfast for the next morning with my mother in law. She was a great cook and knew how to feed her foody son pretty well.

I was happier since last night. Finally, Bihan and me have made a progress. We talked. Even though it was irritating to me. But it was like years before, when we had nothing to care about except each other.

Ashima and Bhaskar were coming up to hand me their invitation today. And I was excited to meet them both. We have so much to talk, especially me and Ashima.

I was also eagerly waiting for Bihan to wake up and come down. My own parents were coming to visit me today.

As I kept the last bowl of lentils on the dining table, my father in law came followed by Bihan and Shanu.

"Shanu? Where is Sanvi?"

"Uh..Bhabhi..she's probably still sleeping."

"It is 9 in the morning. Who sleeps this late?", My mother in law chided her daughter who came running at the last.

"I was not sleeping Ma! This doofos used my bathroom today because his shower is not working."

I chuckled softly enjoying them arguing back and forth. And then my eyes fell on my husband who was trying to mediate between the two.

"You could have come to my room Shanu! Sanvi takes time to get ready."

"Bhaiya...you already have two occupants in your room...so I went to hers!"

"Enough!!", My father in law spoke firmly that silenced the three of them, "Eat your breakfast and stop giving us a headache early in the morning."

And then he turned to me, "Adya...beta you said your friends were coming today?"

I nodded, "Yes Papa. My college friends- Ashima and Bhaskar."

"Hmm...so Bihan must know them too?", He asked looking at Bihan who seemed to suddenly turn stiff for some reason.

At Papa's question, he barely nodded and then looked back at his plate.

"Feed the guests well. I have to visit the party office but I'd be back before your parents come. And Bihan, they are coming as your in-laws for the first time, so be present there."

*

It was lunch time and everyone was here. My parents came a little later than Ashima and Bhaskar. The two of them were pulling my legs about Bihan, who disappeared god knows where.

I must find him.

"Shanu? Where is Bihan?"

"I don't know Bhabhi...After breakfast I saw him in the studyroom."

I went upstairs to the room that was across ours, and knocked on the door, "Bihan come down. Ashima and Bhaskar want to meet you. Even mummy is asking about you."

When no reply came from there, I went in to see the room empty. There was no one here. Where did he go?

I decided to call him.

The phone rang once, twice, thrice but he did not pick up.

I came downstairs informing my mother in law of his absence.

"Don't worry Beta...he must be here somewhere. He knows everyone is coming so he'd be back soon."

I only managed a nod at this.

*

"Here! Have one more please.", I passed the roti to Bhaskar, who happily obliged.

"Well, where is Bihan? I came to see him to be honest. Even at the wedding we could not manage to meet him.", Ashima asked me, waiting for an answer.