Chapter 11: Where the Heart Is

Start from the beginning

"You must be excited then." James laughed. "Maybe Camila would like to visit Bella one day as well."

"Yeah!" Sofi was absolutely thrilled at the idea.

"James? Ah, it's nice to see you." A female voice was heard behind them both. "Sofi? Recess is over now sweetie, it's time to go back inside for third period."

"Hi Gloria." James cut in quickly. "Sorry, it's my fault for holding Sofi back. Bella got loose again, so we just stopped to say hi."

"No worries." The woman smiled. "Sofi, I hope you introduced yourself to Mr. Harrison. He's come by with Bella a few times this week, and it looks like she's taking quite the liking to you."

"She's really cute." Sofi was watching the dog's big blue eyes blink up at her, and felt her nuzzle against her gloves, yearning to be scratched. "I've always wanted a dog."

"Sofi. To class." Her teacher repeated. The second bell was now ringing through the schoolyard, and the last of the children had just filed into the red brick building.

"Right!" Sofi gave the husky one more pat of affection before nodding. "Sorry Ms. Gloria! Bye Mr. Harrison!"

Sofi bounded across the yard, realizing suddenly that she had abandoned her friends and the snow-woman that was only half built. She would deal with that later; all she wanted now was to finish up the last periods of the day and get home. And for one of the best reasons of them all.

***

Camila stepped off the plane, slung her backpack up over her shoulders and made her way briskly into terminal one of the Grand Rapids airport, stuffing her earbuds into her head as she walked. She was still on cloud nine from the events of the past few days. After Dinah had returned from the airport, the two girls had taken it upon themselves to finish up any last minute cleaning, bring Normani's car to a friend's place nearby, and enjoy one final night of cheesy movies and shameless karaoke before Dinah boarded her own flight to California.

There hadn't been much talk about Lauren. Camila wanted to keep it to herself until she sorted out her feelings, although the sly looks from Dinah Jane every once and a while told her that the blonde may have had an idea or two.

Camila loved the state she got to call home. Being fairly northern, and often cold, Michigan was terribly underrated, but with its summer elegance and temperate breeze from the lake, Camila found that it was rather easy to fall in love with. Speaking of lake, the Cabello family owned a good sized home just on the edge of it, equipped with a beach that (although it was technically public) was never used by anyone other than the family. There was something special about the beauty of a lake compared to an ocean. Something that Camila gravitated towards the moment she set foot in her new home.

One rather tedious bus ride later, Camila found herself stepping out of a taxi and into a pocket of air that was even colder than it had been in New York. She then thanked the driver, and pulled her suitcase up the poorly shovelled pathway and climbed the familiar porch steps to knock at the door. When a squeal sounded on the other side, Camila smiled to herself, a warmth spreading through her ice cold body.

"Camilaaa!" The shrill voice was like music to Camila's ears, and she immediately dropped everything she was holding into the snow so she could give her little sister a proper hug.

"It's so good to see you!" Camila exclaimed, crushing the life out of the smaller girl. "Oh my gosh you've grown so much, look how long your hair is now!"

"You're squishing mee!" Sofi squeaked. Her voice was completely muffled by Camila's coat. "Can't breeeeathe!"

"Sorry." Camila ushered the girl into the house as Sinu appeared to give her daughter a long hug. "Hi Mom."