Chapter 10

I wasn't sleeping until I finished and posted this story. I hope you enjoy the final chapter & pls excuse any errors.

:)

Erica's POV

Two hours later

Once Kierra left with the kids for school, I watched Wozy pull out of the driveway before sitting back down to finish work. I was now wrapped for the day and went to go find Kierra so we can finally talk.

I checked the living room before catching her figure in our backyard. I walked outside and sat down next to her in our swing.

At first, I thought I knew exactly what I wanted to say but as we sat in silence, listening to the birds chirp and wind hit our faces, I didn't know where to begin.

I watched Kierra interlock my left hand with hers and kiss the back of it. I smiled and looked up at her.

"Ki, let me just say..."

"Actually Moe, let me go first if you don't mind." She said.

I nodded my head to let her speak.

"The last few days have been hell for me with our fighting and silent treatment and I realized how big of a part I played in it. For years I always felt inadequate as a stepmom to the kids and because you're such a great Mom, I didn't want to disrupt anything with Krista and the littles so I wanted you to continue taking the lead in everything. I wanted to enforce whatever you said instead of trying to position myself to be your equal in that space. With Kai, I don't know, maybe because she's our first child together I knew I had to step my parenting game up and get a backbone. Did it have to take this Detroit argument to finally say the things I've kept bottled up? Absolutely not but I'm glad it did because I don't think I would've shared any of this with you had it not. I promise I don't intentionally hold my feelings inside, and I keep sounding like a broken record but I absolutely trust you with my entire life, E. It's just that I have so much trauma that I'm still trying to get a hold so I can better process my life and that's why I've booked some therapy sessions. I don't want another argument of that magnitude to ever happen again. I'm so sorry for not communicating well and hurting you with my actions and words." Kierra said. I took in her apology as I looked down at our fingers intertwined.

"Baby, all I've wanted for our relationship since the beginning is to be that safe space for you but I'm realizing that you have to become a whole person all by yourself first. I can only support you and do my best as your partner and I'm happy you're back in therapy. These past few days made me realize that I'm naturally the fixer in our relationship and when I wholeheartedly disagree on something, I cut deep with my words to drive my point across. It's a toxic habit that I still need to work on and for that, I sincerely apologize. What I said about the kids being mine and just my overall tone with you, I never want to direct anger towards you again. I love you so much Kierra Valencia and I'm sorry for hurting you too." I said. She kissed me tenderly and looked down at our hands.

"Thank you babe. I've been thinking about the whole Detroit trip for Kai and you were right. We should go as a family when it makes sense with both our schedules because pulling her out of school isn't the best idea." She said.

"Thank you and I hope you didn't feel like I want to hog our babies from your side of the family. I just want to make sure she's welcomed into an environment that's safe and the fact that you've never talked to your Dad after all these years and kinda swept it under the rug, left me uneasy when you brought up Kai going up there. I want you to finally lay it all out for your Dad before another year passes." I said.

"I know baby, you're right. Maybe we can choose the next weekend we're free to visit them and I can finally talk to him. Next summer, Kai can spend a month in Detroit and of course some time in LA with yours. How does that sound?" She asked.