12. divorce and drunk ruhaan

Start from the beginning

"Hello, Rishi," she said, her voice laced with excitement as she smiled widely. Ruhaan rolled his eyes at her cheerful tone.

"Thank you, thank you... a party? Of course, come here, I will make something for you... yes, yes... okay... bye," Sitara said into her phone before ending the call.

"I'm hungry, can you please make something for me?" Ruhaan asked, surprising Sitara, as he rarely asked for anything from her. Confused, she nodded and left to prepare something for him.

Meanwhile, Ruhaan received a call from his PA, who needed some papers for a presentation. After assuring his PA, Ruhaan searched for the files but couldn't find them. Frustrated, he yelled, "Sitara, where is Mr. Knight's file?" He received a reply from her, yelling back that it was in her cupboard's third drawer.

Opening opened Sitara's cupboard, desperately searching for the necessary files. However, what he found instead were divorce papers neatly placed in her drawer. He held them delicately, his eyes scanning the pages, and his heart sank at the sight of Sitara's signature-proof of their impending separation. The memory of Sitara's conversation with Rishi in the hospital echoed in his mind, intensifying his pain. With a heavy heart, he placed the papers back and hastily grabbed his car keys, his mind clouded with emotions.

As Ruhaan descended the stairs, his face was etched with turmoil. Unaware of the storm that had just erupted in their room, Sitara approached him, holding a plate, her eyes filled with curiosity and concern.

"I was coming to..." she began, her voice trailing off, but Ruhaan paid no attention to her words. He walked past her, his steps heavy with the weight of his emotions. Sitara stood there in disbelief, her confusion deepening as she watched him leave without a word, completely unaware of the heartbreaking revelation that had just occurred in their shared space.

Later that night, Sitara heard the doorbell ring. Opening the main door, she found Ruhaan standing there, his appearance disheveled. His right sleeve was rolled up, his shirt half-buttoned, and his hair messy. She could smell alcohol on him.

"Ruhaan, are you drunk?" she asked, concern evident in her voice as she held onto him.

"Yes... and you know what... I went to her..." he said, his speech slurred, pausing intermittently.

"Where?" she asked, guiding him towards their room, trying to keep his voice down to avoid waking her parents.

"I told you... na... to her," he said, his words barely coherent.

"Okay, wait," she said, closing the door behind them. Holding him firmly, she helped him to their room.

"You know what, Sitara... she has magic..." he mumbled, his words trailing off as he smiled drunkenly.

"Shhh, Ruhaan, speak slowly; Mom and Dad will wake up," she urged, her voice soft and calming.

Reaching their room, she made him sit on the bed. Gently removing his shoes and socks, she laid him down. As she turned to leave, he grabbed her wrist and pulled her towards him, his action startling her.

"You know... she said that," he said, but stopped abruptly, leaving his sentence unfinished.

"Ruhaan, where were you?" she asked in horror, realizing he had been mentioning some woman since he arrived home. The thought of him being physically involved with someone else terrified her, even though she knew he wasn't hers to claim.

"I was with her... the whole... no, no... half night," he said, chuckling drunkenly.

"Wh... whom?" she asked, her voice barely audible, fear and sadness creeping into her heart.