Chapter 18

"These towels, definitely," Natalia said pointing to a particular set. Thomas, as expected, made no executive decisions about decorating without her, and now they were back at it, January in full swing.

Natalia was dealing with a bout of homesickness after returning to cold, cloudy Munich, which cruelly matched her mood. Only Thomas seemed cheerful after returning from their short break. Cat was equally as disappointed to leave Erik, and together Natalia and Cat wallowed in misery together.

On top of being homesick, Natalia felt cheated of more time with Brian—who was currently texting her about a particularly silly patient he dealt with that morning.

Luckily, work kept the girls busy. The team would soon travel to Doha for the Volkswagen training camp. Natalia and Cat and the rest of the staff would join the team, and Thomas was almost done getting settled in his new apartment.

"So tell me about him," Thomas said with a smirk, finally noticing Natalia's face every time she looked at her phone.

"Who?" Natalia said innocently, not ready to talk about Brian, especially since he was so far away.

"The guy who is making you smile like that just from some words on a screen," Thomas said not beating around the bush, the same devilish expression on his face.

Natalia rolled her eyes, "His name is Brian. My sisters husband set us up, and he's very nice," she explained.

"What does he do?" Thomas asked following her down an aisle of cutlery.

"He's a doctor," Natalia said, holding up two forks, "Which do you like better?"

"Those," Thomas said pointing to the one on the right, to which Natalia squinted and picked the other one, "What is the point of asking me if you're going to overrule me anyway?"

"For fun," Natalia said devilishly, moving onwards to plates.

"A doctor...that means he had to put his hand up someone's butt in medical school," Thomas said smirking again.

"Gross, Müller," Natalia said picking up a mug and examining it.

"Just making sure you're aware of the realities of your relationship," Thomas said angelically, throwing a mug to Natalia, who struggled to catch it.

"Müller!" Natalia protested

"Is that him?" Thomas said as Natalia noticed her screen light up, Brian's name illuminated on the screen.

"Don't pick up," Thomas said holding Natalia's arm down.

"Why?" Natalia asked, "I haven't spoken to him since I left London,"

"Exactly. Make him chase you!" he said, "Trust me."

"I have to pick up," Natalia protested, "He'll think I hate him,"

"Okay, pick up, but say 'Natalia Klein, to whom am I speaking,'" Thomas said, "Do you want him to like you?" he asked staring into her eyes. Natalia stared into Thomas' eyes for a moment, trying to stare him down, but instead caught a flicker of disappointment.

What was that? Am I making things up?

"Natalia Klein, to whom am I speaking?" Natalia recited picking up her phone, rolling her eyes at Thomas

"Hi, Natalia, its Brian?" Brian said

"Oh, hi," Natalia said pausing to look at Thomas

"You're just doing some shopping, how are you?" Thomas whispered to Natalia, moving his hands animatedly.