Chapter 10

Natalia felt her heart drop to her stomach as she walked up the steps to her apartment.

"I'm sorry...I didn't think you...I don't...," his voice resonated in her head. Natalia's brain stopped working. She took her hands off Manuel's face, but remained sitting up as his hands were still around her waist.

"It's okay...I just thought...you liked me...this is embarrassing, I should go ," Natalia's own response repeated in her head as if it was a bad dream.

Too many drinks left her and Manuel laughing hysterically on his couch. Too many drinks prompted her to kiss him. Not enough drinks prompted him to come to push her away.

"I like you Natalia, as a friend. I love that you're always so willing to help me, you're so kind to everyone, but I just...I don't see you like that," he said gently as she stood up, blush rising to her cheeks. She avoided eye contact with him.

"No its fine, Manu. I shouldn't have tried to kiss you," she said apologetically sobered by his words and rejection, refusing to start crying right then and there. Her eyes ran across the room searching for her bag, coat, and shoes.

"Hey, maybe in another world...," he said stopping her as she tried to leave his living room, brushing her hair behind her ear and letting his hand linger on the side of her face.

"Don't," she whispered, meeting his eyes for the first time since he pushed her away, "You can't...don't say things like that and expect me to not think anything of it," she said growing annoyed, pushing past him.

"Bye Manuel." She said not waiting for a response and running out to her car where she sat for a few minutes, breathing deeply, stunned.  What have I done.

Natalia heard her phone go off and she glanced down

Thomas: Manuel just called and told me what happened. Are you okay?

Of course he told the team already. Because the embarrassment and rejection wasn't enough punishment.

Nat: I'll be okay, don't worry about me.

Thomas: Do you want to come over for dinner after practice tomorrow? I want to cook for you.

Nat: Sure, that sounds like fun. Thanks for checking up on me.

Thomas: Always.

After getting home, Natalia called her sister.

"Natalia! How are you?!" she heard her sisters excited voice through the receiver, "Marco and I are hosting our first dinner party tonight, I wish you could be here," she said not giving her a chance to respond.

"That sounds like so much fun, I wish I could be there too, I miss you too," Natalia said trying to sound happy.