I Screw Up a Rescue Operation

ابدأ من البداية

We heard trotting hooves enter the arena. We looked over and saw Chiron walking towards us.

Chiron: You don't need to explain, Theo. But I can assure you that David is still alive.

Theo: What makes you say that?

Chiron: Well, think of it like this...David's kidnapper referred to you by your Greek name, yes?

I nodded.

Chiron: Which means that they know of your past. And there were no demands written in the note. They only said that they will see you soon. This means that whoever had taken David has only done so to lure you to him. In order to make sure you do take the bait...

Theo: The asshole has to keep David alive.

Chiron: Precisely.

I felt a little more relieved. I never thought of it like that, and yet it does make sense. It's not much to go on, but it's better than assuming the worst.

Theo: I never really thought of it like that.

Chiron: And understandably so.

Theo: Well...thanks, Chiron.

Chiron: You're very welcome. However, I came bearing different news.

Annabeth: What is it?

Chiron: I have just received a distress call from Grover. He said he needed your help. All four of you.

Annabeth, Percy, Thalia, and I looked at each other.

Percy: We're going. Is Argus driving us?

Chiron: No. That would be your mother.

Percy groaned in embarrassment as I smirked.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Percy's POV

It was an eight-hour drive from New York to Bar Harbor, Maine. Sleet and snow pounded the highway. Annabeth, Thalia, and I hadn't seen each other in months, but between the blizzard and the thought of what we were about to do, we were too nervous to talk much. Except for my mom. She talks more when she's nervous. By the time we finally got to Westover Hall, it was getting dark, and she'd told Annabeth, Theo, and Thalia every embarrassing baby story there was to tell about me.

Thalia wiped the fog off the car window and peered outside.

Thalia: Oh, yeah. This'll be fun.

Westover Hall looked like an evil knight's castle. It was all black stone, with towers and slit windows and a big set of wooden double doors. It stood on a snowy cliff overlooking this big frosty forest on one side and the gray churning ocean on the other.

Sally: Are you sure you don't want me to wait?

Percy: No, thanks, Mom. I don't know how long it will take. We'll be okay.

Sally: But how will you get back? I'm worried, Percy.

I hoped I wasn't blushing. It was bad enough I had to depend on my mom to drive me to my battles.

Theo: Don't worry, Ms. Jackson. We'll keep an eye on him.

My mom seemed to relax a little. She thinks Theo was one of the most level-headed kids to ever hit the eighth grade alongside Annabeth, even though he does have a bit of a swearing problem. She's sure he and Annabeth often keep me from getting killed. She's right, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.