Heart Of Stone

Ahilya.

Even the mention of the name sent shivers down His spine.

With a gulp in His throat and trembling hands, He asked Rishi Vishwamitra, "What… happened… to Her…?"

His voice was broken and He was shaking, standing amidst the assembly of saints who had gathered for the monthly Gyan Sabha at the court of King Janaka.

Rishi Vishwamitra looked at Him with pitiful eyes. He couldn't hide the truth from Him for it would hurt Him more.

He mustered up courage and spoke in a stern voice, "Shatand, Your mother has now turned into stone."

Shatanand fell back at the sudden intensity of the revelation. He collapsed when He heard the words.

King Janaka came forward and asked His physicians to look after Him. Shatanand was soon escorted out of the court and taken to the physician's chambers.

Sita visited Him as He rested in a separate private room which was allocated to Him.

"Are You okay, sire?" She whispered softly, not wanting to disturb Him in His restful state.

He gently opened His eyes and smiled weakly at Her. She was so pure in Her innocence. She had no idea about the turmoil going on in His head because She didn't know that Ahilya was His mother.

When Aruna, the charioteer of Lord Surya, transformed into a woman named Aruni, Lord Indra fell in love with Her. He fathered a son named Vali. The next day, when Lord Surya heard about the tales of Her beauty, He fathered another son, Sugriva with Aruni.

Both these children were given to Ahilya for rearing, but Rishi Gautama cursed them, causing them to turn into monkeys, as he did not like their mischievous ways.

The monkey brothers now ruled over the kingdom of Kishkindha, surrounding the Madhuvana forest.

Ahilya also had other sons and daughters, and Shatanand was one of them. Although He was not in touch with Her, He regularly kept updates about Her well being.

She was created as a beautiful woman and gifted to Rishi Gautam who married Her. She lived in a peaceful ashram with Her husband Rishi Gautam.

But recently, tales of Her tragedy had travelled across the subcontinent. She was no more a living woman but a material stone.

 She was no more a living woman but a material stone

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

"Swami, You're back earlier than usual."

She happily welcomed Her husband back from His ritual worship and offered Him water. She didn't even expect any foul play.

"Ahilya, I was wondering when was the last time We had spent time together privately."

She was surprised at the sudden display of affection from Her husband. But She didn't question Him, and only abided by His request being a dutiful wife.

After spending moments together, She soon fell fast asleep. She woke up with a start when She heard footsteps and knocking at the door.

She got up and opened the door.

To Her surprise and shock, Her husband Rishi Gautam was standing there.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

"I curse You to turn into stone!"

He blurted out the words in the heat of the moment.

But no sooner than He had said them, He felt remorse and pain for cursing His innocent wife.

He had not even waited to hear Her side of the story. She was simply framed as the victim and given no chance to prove Her innocence. Although She was so devoted and had unquestionable loyalty, yet She was punished for no sin of Her own.

"But You shall be redeemed by the touch of the incarnation of Shree Hari when He comes here as Lord Rama." He added.

He closed His eyes and begged for forgiveness for His folly. Then, He turned around and left His ashram forever, deserted amidst the storm, with the stone idol seated inside.

Meanwhile, Lord Indra prayed to Lord Ganesha who rid Him of His curse and He was back to normal.

But Ahilya? She couldn't even feel any emotions because She was not a human anymore.

She was a stone, turned into one in a cruel, stone hearted manner.

Lord Indra had taken the guise of Her husband and tricked Her. When Rishi Gautam found out, He cursed the former to grow a thousand vaginas.

And now, all Ahilya could do was simply wait.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

।। श्री राम जय राम जय जय राम ।। ।। जय श्री सियाराम ।। ।। जय बोलो श्री राम लक्ष्मण जानकी जय बोलो श्री राम भक्त हनुमान जी की ।।

।। जय श्री सियाराम ।।
।। जय बोलो श्री राम लक्ष्मण जानकी
जय बोलो श्री राम भक्त हनुमान जी की ।।