Chapter Twenty-Six

Vilkas pressed a kiss to my lips, sealing our covenant bond forever. We were joined in love, and nothing would ever tear us apart. The gates of Oblivion could rupture and plunge the world into chaos, and still the two of us would be bonded. Not even the gods could separate us.

"Now and forever," I sighed as we pulled away.

"Now and forever," he repeated.

We turned to our guests, and they all clapped and cheered, none of them louder than Farkas. I smiled at my new brother-in-law, and he smiled right back.

Something thudded to the floor, clattering at it fell. Startled out of sleep, I sat straight up, looking around for the cause of the noise.

"So sorry, Ylva," Tilma said as she picked up the metal bowl she'd knocked over. "Did I disturb your dreams? You looked so happy."

I rubbed two fingers to my temple. The kiss, the vows, the cheers. It was so real. Our wedding was so close now. Butterflies fluttered in my stomach and joy swelled in my heart. "It's all right, Tilma. It was just a dream."

She nodded, then left, sweeping in the room that abutted my bedroom.

I stretched my arms over my head and yawned. I wondered what time it was. Vilkas usually woke me up, but not this morning.

A coin purse and folded piece of paper sitting on my nightstand caught my eye. I picked up the note and unfolded it. I smiled when I saw the handwriting. It was Vilkas's.

"My dearest Ylva,
I'm sorry I couldn't wake you this morning. I had to leave early. Things to do. Don't worry, my love, I'll tell you when I see you again. But until then, it has come to my attention that you don't have anything to wear for the wedding. So I give you this gold to spend on the perfect dress. There's enough there for the carriage ride to Solitude, too. Once you finish with your dress shopping, head to the inn. You'll find a room reserved for you there. I'll see you in a few days, when it's time for us to take our vows.
With all my love,
Vilkas"

I smiled and folded the note up. A trip to Solitude? To go buy myself a new dress? How wonderful.

Vilkas, my love, you're far too good to me.

I jumped out of bed and began packing for the trip. It would take a while to get to Solitude. I didn't want to waste any time preparing for such a journey.

Aela came into my room just after I had donned my light armor and new cloak. "Going somewhere, Ylva?"

"Yes, Solitude, actually." I pulled my hood up and fastened my pack shut.

"Solitude?"

"Vilkas told me to buy myself a dress there. He wants me to find the perfect one before we take our vows."

Aela crossed her arms. "This is going to be the event of the century, I feel."

I nodded. The wedding of the Dragonborn was all anyone could talk about. Everyone wanted to come, but Vilkas and I had only invited a few. The guards here in Whiterun promised to keep the masses at bay while we were wed under the branches of Gildergreen.

"When do you expect to return from Solitude?" Aela asked as I finished packing my knapsack.

"I'm a few days' time."

"That doesn't leave you much time to get back for the wedding."

"I know. Let me worry about that, Aela."

"Who's going to be in charge until you get back?"

"I'm not in charge, Aela. You know this. I am simply your advisor. The Companions can run themselves until I return."

"Yes, I know, but you seem to be absent most of the time. First with you and Vilkas going to Winterhold to... cure yourselves..." Her face twisted into a disdainful scowl, "and now this. I feel that you're taking far too much personal time than any Harbinger should. And this is why we don't approve of marriage."

Stunned, I stopped fiddling with my pack. Had she really just said those things to me? Anger simmering, I glared at her. "I would've thought you, of all people, would understand where I stand. I love Vilkas. Nothing you can say or do will change that. Why should I force myself to live this life alone just because our views don't exactly agree with that? We aren't forbidden to wed. If we were, Vilkas and I would never dare to break that rule. Don't you tell me that you and Skjor—"

"Don't you dare bring up Skjor!" She backed me against the wall and jabbed her finger into my chest. "It doesn't concern you! It never did."

I pushed her away. "How is what Vilkas and I are doing any different than your relationship with Skjor? Hmm?"

With no warning, Aela backhanded my cheek, making stars flash behind my eyes. I reeled sideways and stumbled into my dresser. My cheek stung angrily and tears welled in my eyes. I blinked to keep them from spilling over.

"Aela?" My door opened and Farkas stepped inside.

"What?!" she demanded, wheeling to face Farkas.

"You're needed upstairs. A couple of the whelps want help with their archery."

Aela sighed, then pushed past Farkas. When she was gone, my future brother-in-law stepped into my room and helped me stand straight.

"What happened?" he asked,

I wiped my eyes dry and cupped a hand to my stinging cheek. "Aela is much more sensitive than I ever thought. She isn't happy with how absent I've been these past few weeks."

"You have a reason. Several, in fact."

"I know, but she doesn't see it that way. She just sees a love-struck child."

"If Vilkas were here, this wouldn't have happened."

I didn't say anything, continuing to wipe tears from my eyes. By the Divines, she knew how to hit hard. "I have to go. I need to get to Solitude soon, or I'm going to be late for my own wedding."

"Let me walk you to the carriage. That'll keep Aela from trying to corner you again."

I smiled. "Thank you, Farkas." I swiped the coin purse off my nightstand, pulled my hood up, and let Farkas escort me from my room.

"You sure you're okay, sister?" he asked as we left Jorrvaskr.

"I've suffered worse. My pride is the only thing that has been hurt."

"The bruise on your face says otherwise."

I pulled my hood tighter around my face. "Aela can be so..."

"Frustrating?"

I raised one eyebrow. "Suppose that's one word for her. I don't think she's happy about Vilkas and me curing ourselves."

"Speaking of that..."

"What?"

He started wringing his hands. "Ever since Vilkas was cured, he's been happier and so much more like his old self. It's made me wonder what it would be like without this curse."

"Do you want me to help you get cured?"

He nodded. "I miss feeling like a true Nord."

By then, we'd left the city and were about to reach the carriage. I patted Farkas on the shoulder and smiled. "Of course I'll help you. It just may be a while."

"I understand, sister. A wedding is a big deal."

Smiling even wider, I paid the driver to take me to Solitude, then walked around to the back of the carriage. Farkas followed me, holding out a hand to help me into the carriage.

"I promise to help you as soon as I can, brother."

"And that is all I ask."

I leaned forward and kissed him on the cheek. Nothing flirtatious, just a sisterly, thankful kiss. His cheeks flushed as he helped me into the back of the wagon.

"All set?" the driver asked as I sat down. I nodded, and he snapped the reins.

"Safe travels, sister!" Farkas yelled as we rolled down the cobblestone.

I waved back to him, not lowering my hand until I couldn't see him anymore.