Chapter One

I swear, if I have to listen to one more smart comment about me being the "new member of the Companions," I will Shout someone through a wall.

Rubbing two fingers against my temple, I climbed the steps into Jorrvaskr and pulled the door open. A warm fire burned in front of the long dining table. Food lined the tabletop. Shields and various weapons hung from the rafters and the walls. The scent of freshly cooked meat and mead permeated the warm air. And two Companions, Njada Stonearm and Athis were in the middle of the room, trying to kill each other.

As always.

I ignored their scuffle and moved downstairs towards the bedrooms. I almost ran into Ria when I opened the door.

"Oh!" she said, looking a little surprised. "I'm sorry, Ylva. I didn't see you."

"It's all right," I said. I brushed a lock of my dark—and very un-Nordlike—hair from my face.

"You know, I killed a bear yesterd—"

I raised a hand and cut her off. "Yeah, yeah, Ria. That's great and all, but I'm really tired. Just got back from taking care of some bandits, you know?"

"Oh, yes. Don't let me stop you."

Wasn't planning on it, I thought as we parted ways. I headed to the room that all non-members of the Circle shared. I was hoping to be alone, but no. Torvar was there, drinking from a tankard.

"Ah, look who it is," he said, his words slurring a little. "The great Ylva. Back from some heroic—"

"By Talos, you never shut up, do you?"

"Can't a man talk?"

"Not when a woman wants to sleep. Get out or shut up, Torvar."

He stood up, sniffed, then left without another word.

I groaned and flopped face-first onto my bed. Finally, sweet rest. The last decent stretch of sleep I had gotten must've been weeks ago, before tracking down those bandits, before joining the Companions, before...

By the Divines, I hadn't slept well since Alduin.

I shuddered as I remembered the World-Eater's defeat. The first time I fought him, I had been hopelessly outmatched. I only succeeded in showing that monster that I meant business. That I wasn't about to let the world end. The second time, when I had travelled to Sovngarde, when I had fought alongside some of the greatest heroes to ever live, I fulfilled my destiny and destroyed that worm. His dying screams, his body exploding and fading to nothing, still haunted my memory. They invaded my dreams and twisted them into nightmares. I had tried everything I could think of to rid myself of those wretched visions. Nothing worked. And not for the first time, I wondered if I was to be condemned to see those haunting sights forever.

Footsteps thundered into the bedroom, and I groaned into my pillow. "Torvar, if that's you, I swear I'll—"

"It isn't," a deep voice said. "It's Farkas."

I sat straight up. "Sorry, Farkas, I didn't mean—"

"No harm done, new blood. I know Torvar can be a pain. I need you to come with me. Kodlak wants a report on those bandits."

I mentally groaned and slid off my bed. Guess sleep would have to wait even longer. I followed Farkas through the halls underneath the main hall. He led me to the end, where Kodlak's room was located. The old Harbinger was waiting for me, sitting at a small table in one corner of the room.

"Thank you for bringing her, Farkas," Kodlak said, bowing his head slightly. "Go get some rest."

Farkas left without a word.

"Come here, girl." Kodlak pushed the other chair out for me. "Have a seat."

I obeyed silently. I took the seat he offered and waited for him to speak.

"Was your mission successful?"

I nodded. "Yes, Harbinger. The bandits in Swindler's Den have been wiped out."

"Very good."

"Is there anything else for me to do, sir?"

"No. Go get some rest. You look as though you need it."

I almost stumbled, I stood up so fast. "Thank you, Harbinger. I'll take my leave, then."

The others were already in their beds when I walked into the room. Torvar was snoring up a storm and mumbling things in his sleep. I ignored him and moved towards my bed. I felt so tired. I flopped down on my bed and suppressed a moan. Thank Talos it didn't take me long to find sleep.