Chapter Eight

Two weeks after my initiation into the Companions, I was sitting at the dining table, enjoying a sweetroll when Vilkas sat down in the chair next to me. "Skjor was looking for you earlier," he said, helping himself to a mug of ale. "You should go see him."

I groaned. "Do I really have to see Skjor?"

Vilkas laughed at me. "Don't worry, Ylva. I'm sure he won't keep you long. You'd best not keep him waiting."

I nodded, then took my leave of Vilkas. I wished I could've taken a job from him, or better yet, taken a job with him.

Finding Skjor was not a problem. He was outside, training in the afternoon sun. "Ah, there you are," he said as I approached.

"You wanted to see me?"

"Yes, I have something a little different planned this time. But it's not for everyone to hear. Meet me in the Underforge tonight. We will speak more."

I had no idea what he meant by "the Underforge," nor did I understand why we were being so clandestine. "Where is the Underforge?"

"I forget that you've never seen it. Beneath the Skyforge, where Eorlund works. The door is hidden, but I will show you the way." With that clipped explanation, he left me to my own devices.

I wanted to follow him, but decided against it. I would just have to wait until nightfall to see what Skjor was taking about.

I considered telling Vilkas about this. He was a member of the Circle, so it was okay to tell him about this, right? But if Skjor said not to tell anyone, it would be best not to tell anyone. Not even Vilkas.

-------

When the sun was setting, I followed the pathway to the Skyforge. Skjor was already waiting for me by the path.

"Are you prepared?" he asked when I approached him.

I crossed my arms. "I'm ready for whatever test is next."

"This is no test, new blood. This is a gift." He beckoned me forward. "Come inside."

He didn't leave much room for choice in his statement. I followed him, somewhat unwillingly, into the Underforge's hidden entrance.

When we stepped into the low-ceilinged, stony room, an animalistic growl filled the air, making me shiver. I looked ahead, and my heart stopped.

There was a werewolf standing in front of me.

Skjor took two steps forward. "I hope you recognize Aela, even in this form."

"That's Aela?!" I gaped at the giant creature.

"Yes. And she's agreed to be your forebear."

"My what?"

Skjor didn't answer; he just kept walking closer to Aela and a raised bowl set in the middle of the room. He stood to her left, crossing his arms. "We do this in secret because Kodlak is too busy trying to throw away this great gift we've been granted."

I wanted to jump to Kodlak's defense, but I held my tongue.

Skjor continued, "He thinks we've been cursed, but we've been blessed. How can something that gives this kind of prowess be a curse?"

Because you lose your rights to see Sovngarde, I growled in my head. But I kept it to myself. Best not upset someone when you know they can turn into a rage monster and kill you instantly.

"So we take matters into our own hands." Skjor gave me a hard and serious look. "To reach the height of the Companions, you must join with us the shared blood of the wolf. Are you prepared to join your spirit with the beast world, friend?" 

I crossed my arms and let all emotion drain from my face. "What if I don't want to be a werewolf?"

"That it your choice. But to join the Circle, your blood must be as ours."

I contemplated my choices. Choosing the blood would condemn me to Hircine's realm, and I would never have a chance to see Sovngarde again. But if the beast blood was as powerful as they said, and if all the Circle possessed it, could it really be that bad?

Squaring my shoulders, I let my arms drop to my sides, confidence swelling in my chest. "I'm ready to be as a wolf."

"Very well." Skjor looked pleased.

My stomach twisted. I must've done something wrong if I pleased Skjor.

Still uneasy, I watched as Skjor pulled a steel dagger from his belt, then watched him grab Werewolf Aela's left arm. He cut the dagger deep into her hand, then held it over the raised bowl in front of them. Her blood pooled into the bowl, and Skjor didn't let her take her hand back until the basin was almost full.

"The blood calls, sister," Skjor said as Aela shook her wounded hand.

I looked at the basin of blood. Did he really expect me to... drink? He couldn't be serious. But the look on his face was totally serious. I wanted to back down, to say, "No way am I doing this!" But I had made my choice. It was too late to back down now.

With a disgusted sigh, I dipped my hand into the blood, let it fill my cupped palm, then raised it to my lips. I forced the thick and hot liquid down my throat, then shuddered at its metallic and wild taste.

As soon as I stepped away from the basin, my stomach lurched. I fell to my knees as a horrible feeling took hold of my insides. I pressed my arms to my torso, groaning with pain.

"What have you done to me?!" I screamed at Skjor, who just watched me writhe in agony.

"Don't fight it, sister," he said in a soothing voice. It sounded so wrong. "The blood calls you. Let it do its work."

I screamed again and forced myself to my feet. I launched myself through the still-open door of the Underforge, and headed out to the training yard. There, I fell to my knees again and started convulsing.

"What's... happening... to me?!" I cried as my chest was racked with pain. I thought my heart would explode if the pain got any worse.

Then, I began to transform.

My arms and legs changed, my hands and feet grew long and sharp claws, and my face elongated into a snout and other wolfish features. My senses became even more heightened, allowing me to hear the sounds of the hearts closest to me, smell the waters and plants growing outside the city walls, see more stars in the sky.

I was no longer Ylva, the young Dragonborn maiden.

I was a werewolf. A creature of Oblivion.

I rose up on my haunches and howled at the moons. Then I got down on all fours and ran. As fast as I could. Guards yelled at me to halt, and they started shooting at me with their bows. The arrows merely bounced off my thickened, furry hide.

All I knew was I had to get out of the city. I needed to find someplace safe. With another deafening howl, I ran for the gates. I was making for the city's exit when things started to fade.

Darkness consumed me just as I made it out of the city.