ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 1

*tip: the clouds indicates something about each chapter...

The cold salty breeze cut through the air like blades as it glided along the ocean currents making the waves dance. The rippling surface of the water shimmered beneath the casted sunlight.

A lone barrel bobbed across the sea water, slowly but steadily. It followed the ocean's guidance as it continued on its journey. A bit further away from the floating barrel, a battle commenced.

Two ships faced off. Cannons were fired with no mercy and screams could be heard.

• - •

The day Coby had accidentally stepped foot into Alvida's ship, his life took a turn for the worse. All the adventures and fun he'd dreamed of as a kid were shattered in front of his eyes by this ugly woman.

Forced to live under strict rules created by Alvida, Coby's aspirations slowly disappeared. His hate for the woman grew as each day passed. However, trying to escape would mean certain death, and Coby feared death.

Today was just like any other. Getting the harsh, bitter treatment and being forced to compliment Alvida. Coby was sick and tired of this but he played it off and hid his emotions and frustrations behind a feign smile.

Coby stayed on-board and watched in horror as Alvida instructed the crew to attack and destroy the opposing ship. He tried his best to avoid being dragged into this bloody mess knowing it would bring him dire consequences. He was just a powerless chore boy after all.

He manages to get safely away from the battlefield of violence, and grabbed ahold of the bulwark. He could never get used to the fighting, his stomach churned just thinking about it. He tucked his head in his arms in a desperate attempt to avoid watching.

He took a sneak peak out a crack in the wood, he thought perhaps the ocean waves would help him feel calmer about his situation. While checking out the sea waves however, he spots something unusual. A barrel.

It was floating around in the middle of the ocean. His eyes opened wide. 'Perhaps there's some alcohol in that! If I get it, maybe Alvida would leave me alone for the night...'

He grabs a rope near him, his hands trembling, he eventually manages to haul up the large barrel. He was panting by the time he finally pulled it up. He really was weak.

Just as Coby was about roll the barrel down into the cellar, his mind on the task, he was startled. Two pirates had caught him and was now looking down at the barrel with greedy eyes. Coby nearly fell to the ground as fear washed over him.

"What are you doing Coby? What's this you got here?" The pirates, with malicious eyes, grabbed the barrel from Coby. Their smiles grew at the heaviness. "What do you say we have a drink?"

"Wouldn't captain Alvida be mad?"

"She doesn't have to know..." Coby starred as the two conversed with each other before raising their weapons, ready to break the barrel as they swung down.

Cody couldn't comprehend what happened next. Just as they were about to break open the barrel, someone emerged with their arms stretched out, punching the pirates straight in the face making them fall on their backs. Coby hadn't realised someone was residing inside the barrel, he was both shocked and confused.

He let out a gasp as the person leaped out from the barrel before landing gracefully next to him. His hand was on his hat, covering half his face. Coby could feel the boy's sharp gaze on him as the hair on the back of his neck stood up.

"Agh! Who are you bastard!", the pirate growled. The two has quickly recovered, and are back up on their feet again in a battle-ready position, they were incredibly angry. Coby, who was caught in the middle of the mess, was terrified. He made himself seem as small as possible by pressing his body into the wall while still observing the contest.