Chapter Seven

Thwack!

A bushy striped tail impacted across the sleeping man's face, the cream and red tinted furs tickled at his nose and lips startling him awake. Pauper raised his oblong body part and smacked it down once more; only over the patient's brow this time. Erebos groaned as he swatted the animal away.

Finally opening his two-toned eyes he studied the foreign environment. A woman was striding towards him holding a ceramic cup in her hands; the icy water within slid down his throat sending a chill through his exhausted form. It was the freshest water he had ever tasted, much clearer than the fluid produced from the city's wells.

The medicine woman was wearing a chocolate colored leather apron, with two pockets at the bottom that had a few complex looking tools peeking out, over a drab wool dress. The forest green slip had cuffed sleeves that ended just before the lady's elbows; the skirt fell down to her knees. Iaso also had a corset beneath the apron across her stomach constructed of a caramel hide. The soft leather she wore was pliable, from lovingly wearing it for several years; it was malleable to work in while still affording protection from some of the chemical reactions she encountered in her work.

Iaso's purple eyes smiled at him as she aided the man in sitting upright to drink. The tear drop pupils were something he'd only heard of before. Erebos could see a resemblance to someone in the well-aged woman's features, especially her regal nose and plush lips. Her hair was loosely tied into a thick braid hanging down her spine. Mostly pale blond, like hay, Iaso's long locks revealed the occasional white highlights tucked within the woven hairdo. She nudged the mischievous raccoon away from the bed and knelt to be level with Erebos.

"How are you feeling young man?" A warm melodic voice bounced about the round structure; Erebos couldn't help but form a smile.

"It feels like my back has been torn in two." He took another gulp of water as she eased the mug to his lips.

"Nearly, you were lucky you found my daughter when you did, or else I'd guess you'd be unavoidably passed. The banshee venom was weak but still effective."

Iaso motioned for him to turn, unwrapping his torso and revealing the moist cuts to fresh air, the lacerations stung from the undressing. She examined the man for a few minutes as their conversation moved forward.

"Your daughter?" Erebos' memory was a bit fuzzy about how he arrived here. As he sat silently wincing occasionally from the healer's prodding, the images of Ania crept forth.

"Just one second..." the woman's voice snapped him out of his waking dream.

Iaso stuck her head from the house and softly whistled. Erebos could faintly hear soft whispers as the woman requested a massive white owl to retrieve her child. The bird flew off quickly blowing back the curtain doorway exposing mid-afternoon sunlight. The woman then marched over to a solid cluttered desk and began mixing what seemed like random ingredients in little vials together; the smell wasn't pleasant.

Not even turning her face towards him she went on, "I forgot to introduce myself. I'm Iaso, and you are in the Siren's Village under the shadow of the Hollow Mountain. I don't believe you were born her though."

She didn't speak as though she wanted a reply, so Erebos just rested his breath slowing as he relaxed.

By the time the leather flap moved again it had been nearly an hour. Iaso had completely redressed the wounded man's injuries and begun handing him bottle after bottle of vile potions to drink; he'd only made it through half when Ania stepped in. Erebos spilt the latest antidote all of his hand as her presence sparked something deep in his core.

Her eyes were even more captivating with a haze free view, slightly hidden behind long ginger waves. She set down a bulbous wicker basket near the entrance overflowing with various freshly harvested herbs and weeds.