Chapter 34: Rhodes Island part 5

A gentle hum echoed in the giant's ears. Not just that of the Rhodes Island ship crossing the desolate wasteland once more, the sun soft in the afternoon. But above all, the gentle roar of the oven turning in front of him. His gaze was lost in the emptiness, and now he was thinking of the last elements to set in motion the plan that would take him to kazimierz. It had been two weeks since they left Lungmen.

Ifrit: Dad?

It was the sarkaz's voice that brought him back to reality. He turned his head to look in the lower part of his quarters, at the sofa where the sarkaz was sitting next to Misha.

Sebastian: Yeah?

The timer he'd put on his bracelet chimed, indicating that it was time to remove what he had in the oven, turning it off and grabbing a cake tin with a cooking glove, which he placed on a rack.

Ifrit: What are clouds made of?

The giant sighed for a second, thinking of a way to explain such a thing to a child. Of course, he could have pulled out the classic "ask your mother", but he was worth better than that.

Sebastian: A cloud is a whole lot of little drops of water in the air. So small that they don't fall. When they gather, they become too heavy and become raindrops that fall...

Ifrit: Huh...

She seemed to have understood, so the giant sighed, just about satisfied, as he sprinkled powdered sugar over the chocolate cake he'd just unmolded. Attracted by the smell, or perhaps the noise, realizing that there was sweetness in the air, Ifrit got up from the sofa, stopping watching cartoons, and walked fox-like up to the kitchen table where the cake lay, raising her hand slowly to touch it.

*tchak*

So quickly that she didn't have time to see him, the giant swiped at the girl's hand with his dishcloth.

Ifrit: Ouch!!!!

She held out her hand and looked at the giant frowning beside her.

Sebastian: Have you washed your hands, young lady...?

Ifrit: Uh...

Sebastian: You have to wait for it to cool down first.

He said, pointing to the kitchen sink where the little demoness went, bowing her head. Misha quickly joined her, taking care to wash her hands too. The young girl had the scarf the giant had given her for her birthday around her neck. She wore it all the time, and balked when she had to take it off so it could be washed.

Sebastian: How did the lessons go?

Ifrit: It was hard...

Misha: Miss Silence is very calm and explains things well... But I had trouble understanding at first...

Sebastian: Don't worry, it's normal, you've been cut off from education for a long time. It'll take some time to get back into the swing of things.

He began to cut his cake into slices as the two young women sat down at the kitchen table. Excitement showed easily in their young features, bringing an amused smile to the giant's lips.

Sebastian: Come on, help yourself.

He said, starting to put away the last of his kitchen utensils. Until he heard his office door open. The giant recognized the heartbeat as usual, but that didn't stop him from coming to see for himself.

Pramanix: Sebastian?

The young priestess had just arrived, holding a file in her hands, until her eyes fell on the giant, where her curious expression was replaced by immense joy.