𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈; 𝐄𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐁𝐞𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠

Time flew like an arrow and the Windblume Festival was over before you could even realise it. The streets were still decorated with the traditional floral garlands, however, the finer part of the festivity had long ended.

Slowly, the city was returning to its usual activities.

You walked towards the Adventurers' Guild, scaring away a bunch of pigeons who were frantically searching for breadcrumbs dropped from the outdoor tables of Good Hunter. You waved to Katheryne as you approached the Guild. She greeted you with her typical cordial smile. "Welcome to the Adventurers' Guild. How can I help you?" she asked in a still voice.

You cracked a smile that mirrored hers. "I'd like to set up a commission"

She nodded, her face displaying no emotion. "What kind of commission?" she asked, taking notes in a notebook.

'To... an expedition, I guess,' you replied. Katheryne, with her phlegmatic manner, she was able to bring anyone into a state of awe. The fact that there were replicas of her in all the nations you visited didn't help. One would probably have said that the world would not be conquered by either the Abyss or the Fatui but by the Katherynes, if they were psychotic enough to believe that.

The receptionist replied with an arcane 'I see' before she began taking notes again. She glanced at you as soon as the pen stopped flowing on the paper. "Do you have anyone in mind already?"

You lightly nodded. "Yes, I was thinking of going with the adventurers that discovered that domain"

Katheryne put down her pen and stared at the paper in front of her. "I'm afraid you'll have to find someone else, you still don't have enough members in your team" she made a brief pause, resting her chin on her hand. "I doubt, however, that he would be a good addition to your team"

A puzzled expression began to paint on your features. "How come?"

"He's a recruit. Therefore, I'm afraid he lacks the necessary expertise required to go there"

"A rookie?" 

"He wasn't alone," she reported. "There were other adventurers with him yet he was the only that reported to the Guild"

Before you could even reply a familiar voice called out for her. "Katheryne! We're back!"  

"Give me a moment" said the receptionist sotto voce, her head turning towards you. You let her do, gazing Aether and Paimon dashing through the city gates.

You stepped aside, as if the two could have swept you away. "[Name]?" Paimon curiously blinked as your gaze encountered hers. "What are you doing here?" she inquired, cocking her head her left.

You waved to the two. "Oh... I had to set a commission for the Adventurers' Guild"

"A commission?" she inquired, stars of curiosity lit up in her onyx eyes.

You nodded. "The Ordo Favonio needs help exploring a domain". You shifted your gaze towards Aether as he impassively took the rewards handed him by Katheryne. "However its level is still unclear"

Aether's eyes darted on you. "What do you mean?" he inquired.

"Usually the level of difficulty for a domain is determined by the leyline energy it emanates," Katheryne chimed in after clearing her throat. "However its energy is unstable, so it is difficult for us to determine its exact level."

"Exactly," you brought a hand to your forehead. "I need to bring there at least four people or I'll break the code"

"But why are the Knights interested on a domain? Doesn't the guild deal with them?" Paimon wondered, tilting her head as it rested on her chin.

"It has an unstable energy flow" you replied. "Plus it may or may not be related to the Abyss Order"

"But... aren't you a diplomat?"

A dry sigh left your lips, signaling that you've already considered such dilemma. "We're out of people... plus, I don't think I can refuse even if I wanted to"

"Huh? Can't you just tell Jean that you can't go, though?" Paimon asked.

She made it sound easy. You held back a sigh "It's not about Jean but with Varka. For some reason he ordered me to substitute her whenever she has to attend some excursion"

"Oh" she blinked, registering your words. ".... But didn't you say that you weren't much of a fighter?". Her curious gaze shifted to concern.

You let out a breathy 'Exactly' before remembering the reason you were there. "I know you've been caught up in various matters but please, help me with this. I'll tell you the details if you're interested and may take you out for a meal.." you sent the traveller a pleading look. At your words Paimon gleamed as her traveling companion gazed at you expectantly.

Spending the rest of the time after the end of your shift with negotiations but at least you obtained what you wanted.

In the evening you found yourself at the Angels' Share, sitting alone like someone drowning their affliction in alcohol. The tavern was busy, however most of the faces you saw were of those that you weren't very acquainted with. As much as you knew, Kaeya went to a brief expedition, as for Rosaria she was somewhere in the tavern while only Barbatos knew where Venti was.

You walked to the counter, opting to end your boredom in a way or the other. You glanced Charles from a chair on the counter, sitting far from a group of adventurers talking lively on the other side of the counter.

"Had a bad day?" asked the bartender, noticing your expression. You mumbled a 'not really' that didn't sound very convincing even to your own ears. "If it is of any consolation the Master has a massage for you" he said after giving a quick glance to the adventures, making sure that they were out of earshot. But such secrecy was futile.

Charles reported his words. Words that would've sound arcane or even nonsensical to any other. You, however, were no 'other'. You knew their meaning more than anyone else.

"Did he said anything else?"

He shook his head as you processed the meaning of that code. 

Diluc wanted to see you.

(A/N): would you guys be interested in a Lyney x reader....?