𝐈𝐈; 𝐈𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐠𝐞

In the few days , a lot of news reached your ears, partly because of rumours born out of hope and the little information that reached you from Jean after she left you to take care of matters in her spite. It was curious: in that amount of time you've manged to hear and witness to the unfolding of every kind of news. The Traveller, from being a stranger in a foreign land arose the become the Ordo's Honorary Knight.

They said that Aether had, along the captains, weakened Stormterror and that he was committing to subdue the crisis with the Ordo's big-shots. However you were far away from that traveller's chivalrous acts.

"So, summarizing the issues discussed in this meeting, we came to the conclusion that, according to our resources, about twenty groups of hilichurls are besieging our city, of which around ten have survived in the last raid. Finally, we have mobilized all our men and decided which strategy to adopt against the monsters. I declare this meeting over."

As soon as you had finished speaking these words, the seven captains got up, greeted each other and left the room to go, or so you hoped since you didn't want anyone to be lazing around during the siege, where they were needed. You stayed inside the meeting room of the headquarters and felt as if a boulder had been lifted from your shoulders.

You sighed deeply and left the room and went to the Grand Master's office. You were beginning to sympathise with Jean. Compared to her, You always had taken care of small errands, such as cleaning a camp of hilichurls, or going on diplomatic missions to other nations.

You stepped into the office and started reading the reports that had slowly accumulated on the desk during your absence. It wasn't a difficult task to deal with documents, in fact it was probably the easiest you could possibly do since you were taking the place of the Acting Grand Master.

You pushed some papers off the desk and heard a soft rustle. You leaned over to pick it up and saw that an envelope had fallen that some nations use for their mail. You studied the white envelope with a scribbled address in some language you didn't recognize, written in indecipherable cursive, and sealed with a red wax seal that was broken, indicating that the letter had already been read by someone.

Perhaps in an act of foolishness or perhaps a twist of fate, you opened the envelope and took out the contents to read them. But before you could do anything, someone knocked.

You flinched. "Y-yes?" you mumbled.

"May I come in? I have some papers to deliver," replied a masculine voice from beyond the door.

You got up from the floor, shook off any dust from your clothes and sighed deeply. "Sure, go ahead," she replied in the calmest tone she could muster.

The man entered and you recognised him as a messenger who had been hired about six months earlier. "They are reports about the theft of the Holy Lyre," he informed you and placed the papers on the desk.

You turned your eyes away from the paper and delved into the newcomer with your gaze. "The Holy Lyre, you say?"

The boy looked at you questioningly. "Don't you know it? A few days ago the relic was stolen from the Cathedral."

"I see, thank you for giving it to me" you replied with a faint smile before he left the room.

"I have to say, I didn't expect occupying this seat for a few days would take such an interesting turn" she said to no one in particular as she scribbled on the first sheet of paper she came across to prepare something to write in the report she was supposed to deliver to The Acting Grand Master to convey to her about the events that had happened during her absence.

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

"Now explain to me how the heck did you manage to carbonize one half of a steak and leave the other half raw-"

Amber giggled. "Let's just say cooking isn't my forte, anyway do you have any tips?"

You were still too stunned to speak.

"...Cooking both sides of the burger at equal times can be a good start. Now I understand why nobody lets you do the cooking when we have dinner parties..." you replied in a tone where it was impossible to tell if you were teasing or not, and mumbled the last part.

"Hey!" called out the Outeìrider who, to your misfortune, heard you.

"Pfft- sorry" you suppressed a laugh, strangely feeling in a playful mood.

It had been three days since that siege began, and by now you were more dead than alive. Or rather, anyone would be after spending five days writing and reading reports, running errands for the civilians, and fighting with the Fatui and Adventurers, the first for reasons of diplomacy while the latter wanted to leave the city for an expedition. As if that wasn't enough, the cloudy days when the sun seldom broke through the clouds had contributed to annihilating the mood of the inhabitants of Mond, to the point of making you doubt that this was the same city you'd been living in for two years , if you stretched your ears, you could hear concerned whispers and sighs hope.

But before Amber could be able to reply, the blowing of a horn echoed through the air.

"Huh!? Are the hilichurls attacking us!?" she cried out.

"Looks like it" you replied, trying to hold your horses.

"Let's give them a hand," Amber said and dragged you by your arm. I swear this woman-

When the two of you arrived, you saw the bridge was still filled with hilichurls' barricades and knights yelling orders that were mainly about closing the entrance to the city.

"Damn it," you muttered, remembering that your weapon was in Varka's office but, upon hearing the war shouts of the hilichurls, you gave up at the idea of making a trip to headquarters to grab it but you decided to make a blade using your Vision before plunging into the battle. (A/N: it's not her elemental skill this story partially follows the construction of the manga so everyone is OP)

You knew from experience that this was not a very efficient solution since you risked being the target of an elemental reaction, but on the other hand you had no other options and as a knight you had learnt long ago to adapt to situations.

You activated the power of your element and sprinted towards the monsters, slashing at the hilichurls that were running towards you and your team, trying out your momentary weapon.

The fight went on like this; with you fighting the best you could and silently blessing your mentor, Eula fighting with grace and Amber attacking from the sidelines. You continued like this until the last hilichurl fell, by which time the cathedral bell announced the arrival of vesper.

 You continued like this until the last hilichurl fell, by which time the cathedral bell announced the arrival of vesper