Children of the Horned King

You take a deep breath, enjoying the view of the evening sky as you nurse the now cold mug of coffee in your hands.

You'd already had to heat it up four times over the course of the last hour and you'd be damned if you had to heat it up a fifth.

You turn to look over the somewhat small living room your apartment provided, groaning to yourself at the mess your twin sons had left.

All you wanted was to sit down, but as they say, there's no rest for the wicked.

You look up at their picture on the wall, a tired smile creeping onto your lips as their innocent faces smile back at you. They weren’t the most perfect kids in the world, but what do you expect from the children of Loki?

The two of you had met under strange circumstances. You'd both fallen in love and eventually, despite your mortality, Loki agreed to have a family together.

The fear of being a father was overwhelming for Loki, the shadow of his own parents looming over him. His love for you overpowered that however and once the two were born, everything changed.

The oldest, Axel, was the splitting image of his father. He's the louder of the two, always saying exactly what is on his mind. That, coupled with the fact that he seems to share Loki's magical abilities means he's always doing something he shouldn't.

Axel was his father through to the bone, proud of his heritage and constantly talking about how great his father was, no matter who might hear. This has gotten him in trouble more than once.

The other was Micha, smaller than his brother and softer spoken. Although he never seemed to inherit his father's abilities, it didn't bother him, more interested in Loki's collection of books than anything else.

You take a long sip of the icy coffee in your hands, sinking back into the couch cushions as a deep sigh escapes your lips.

The chaos never bothered you, you wouldn't love Loki if it did, but that didn't mean these moments of quiet weren't appreciated.

Your life could have been simpler, you could have lived in a guided palace with a maid waiting at your every need. Loki wanted this life for you, but when the twins came along, you knew they needed to live on earth, even if it was only until they were teens.

Placing the mug down on the coffee table, you stand up, stretching out your arms as you breath in the peaceful evening air.

'Time to get started on the cleaning.' You think, making your way over to the kitchen. Just as you reach the bench, your phone begins to buzz, vibrating from its place next to the charger.

You unplug the cord and pick it up, quietly laughing as you answer.

"How do you always seem to know when they're in bed?" You giggle, pulling a garbage bag out of the cupboard.

"I'm just that good." Eliza, you best friend laughs from the other side of the phone. "Wasn't their bed time an hour ago?"

You look up at the clock, reading it as quarter past nine.

"An hour and fifteen minutes actually, but you try and explain that to two hyperactive and superpowered ten year olds." You shake your head, taking the bag back over to the lounge as you begin scooping up all the rubbish and broken toys left lying around.

"I thought only one of them had his powers?" Eliza questions.

"You'd be surprised at how much one kid can break" You laugh, the faint sound of a toy truck siren coming through the phone.

"No." She sighs, clearly tired from her own child's shenanigans. "No I wouldn't. I only have one, how the hell do you keep it together all day with twins?"