My King

The sound of your hasty footsteps echoed throughout the halls, at this time you were rushing to the throne room as your king had summoned you.

It had been three weeks since Loki took over as king. No one was quite sure what had happened to Odin or Thor, some believed what Loki said, that they were both happy and living peacefully on Midgard, but most knew better than to ask.

The community didn't know what to make of Loki, even back when he was just a boy. He had always been unruly, one does not get named God of Mischief for nothing after all. Asgardians were torn on their new king, he had been making changes from the moment he took over, not necessarily bad changes, but change is hard, it upsets most.

But not you.

You have worked in these halls your entire life. Taken in as a baby by the late Queen, you were raised to be the best you could at serving the royal family. You worked hard, hoping that one day your service could thank her for all she had done for you.

Quickly you gained rank amongst the staff, and before you knew it you were the queen's personal maid. You two became close thanks to her kind nature and patience. You found she was very different to Odin, preferring to use her own intelligence and abilities to solve problems rather than relying on strength.

When she passed it hurt, it was like losing a mother, but at her wishes you continued to work, being reassigned to the rest of the family. Thor was your main focus, you spent your days cleaning his chambers of empty bottles and taking food to the immature prince. If you weren't with Thor then you were setting tables, making beds, and making sure the palace was perfect.

Despite this, you never spent much time with Loki. Odin himself requested minimal staff be assigned to him, this was fine for most considering how almost all staff didn't like to be around him claiming he was uncomfortable to be around. You didn't like this though, you weren't blind to how his presence was shadowed by his older brother and Odin's behaviour, although subtle, was infuriating.

Fast forward to today. Half the staff had walked out after Loki's coronation, the staff were in shambles and you were left to keep the place running with what little you had available, meaning it was only a matter of time before his royal highness had some questions.

Standing before the gilded marble and gold doors, the severity of the situation finally sunk in. Through these doors was your king, a man most claimed had gone mad with power and would hurt anyone that got in his way. Shaking the building fear from your mind, you bow your head, pushing open the large doors and walking in.

You looked down as you walked, watching the red carpet move past and not meeting his eyes as a sign of respect. The room was silent, was there even anyone in here?

Reaching the end of the carpet, you fall to your knees, patiently waiting for his commands.

"You're (Y/N)?" His voice was low and menacing, his tone full of scepticism.

"Y-yes your majesty." You were trying to stay calm, but even without looking you could feel his judgmental gaze.

"Rise." Slowly lifting your head you see him, perched on his throne with a quizzical look in his eye. Either side of him stood two guards. Many had spoken of him as if he were vermin, a devil in disguise, but all you could see was beauty. His garments and crown were regal, his stature was confident, demanding, alluring. "You are younger than I expected, most handmaidens are well later in life."

"You ... know I was a handmaiden, Sir?" You didn't mean to speak, but the question escaped you. A scowl painted his features.

"I know all, you dare question your king?" His words cause a lump in your throat, you didn't need him to be angry at you already!