Chapter 14: Fifty-Fifty

Start from the beginning

We both put D L. After that, our relationship strained under competition. It was okay when just the two of us were hanging out, but whenever Del was around, things got awkward. He brightened when Lemon flirted back, while I wilted in the shadows.

That was the summer Scarlet, Why, Rose and Lemon talked about their Grove Club Cotillion parties non-stop. I wasn't allowed to attend, since my parents weren't members due to their embarrassing beliefs in equality. (Not all tribes can apply to be admitted to the club even if they can afford the hefty dues.) So while Lemon was shopping for outfits with her new BFFs, I put my hours into swimming. That summer was the first time I swam all the way to the river from our stream. I timed myself each day to get faster and stronger. By August, I had made the Grove Middle team and Lemon had become the "it" girl at school. Flanked by her pack, she strutted in a uniform skirt way above regulation length and broke hall chatter with a new look she must have practiced in her long mirror. We never spoke again, but moved in circles around each other, conveniently separated by status.

"You have visitors!" The nurse's excited voice turns my focus back to the white hospital floor. She pulls the double doors apart and Lily, Why, Scarlet and Rose saunter through them like a pack of fruit-striped gum.

"Fuch, oh my gosh, you are amazing!" Lily hugs me. They all fawn over me like I'm the popular one, and it's nice but a little strange.

"You are such a good friend," Scarlet points out.

"I heard about your parents. Are they okay?" Lily asks.

"I'm not sure, haven't gotten to see them all day." My disappointment sounds pathetic.

"That's so unfair!" Why gestures with her coral nails.

"So stupid. As if you could get through this without them." Scarlet shakes her red locks in protest.

"You are so brave," Rose adds. "You should ask Cassy to help them. I'm sure she'd do anything for you now."

"She just sent me a gift," I gesture at the basket brimming with expensive taste. It makes me feel like something to check off her list more than a person saving her daughter, and I wonder why she hasn't come to see me in person. Then I could ask her about helping my parents.

Lily can see I'm uncomfortable and changes the subject. "Did you hear they fired Mr. Schneider?"

"That dorky science teacher?" Scarlet scoffs. I know the one she means, the guy who caught me snooping through Cord's water research in the lab, the one who called me by my name even though I've never had a class with him.

"Yeah. It's all very hush-hush but they said he was involved in a scandal."

"I wonder if the scandal was Ms. Flores," Why smirks. This makes us laugh since Ms. Flores' idea of sexy is a snappy pair of reading glasses over her turtleneck.

"Gross," Rose says.

"My, aren't we popular; you have another visitor." The nurse makes room for a tall shadow hovering around the corner.

Cord walks in and shakes his long blond hair. "Can't quite stay away from the drama, can you?" He sits next to me, and Scarlet is the first to speak. "You're so lucky. We can't even visit Lemon."

"Really? Why not?" I ask. Seems the BFF's would be the first admitted, and Del.

"She's in ICU. But you'll be right there next to her tomorrow." I picture Cord's headless grandmother in yellow and feel a shot of dread that I'll have to stomach that.

After many air kisses, the colorful posse finally leaves. I hiss, "How's Bud?!"

Cord bores those gray-blue eyes into mine and leans forward. "He's, he's great - grew a centimeter already - Mom tracked it on the wall."

"I'm so jealous. Sorry I couldn't get back there." I whisper.

"No, it's better you weren't. Nice job on your meet by the way." He makes me high five him like I'm ten. Our hands touch for longer than necessary.

"Thanks. So you weren't trying to find me today? I had to go somewhere unexpected, so I was worried I'd missed you're messages." I shrug.

"We thought it best to keep a distance, considering what happened."

"To my parents."

"Yes, I'm sorry." He looks back and forth at my eyes like he's trying to read them.

"This - this will help them." I say it like I'm trying to convince myself. From what Burnish told me, they could be freed before I even commit fully to my donation.

"Will it?" He looks deeply worried, like when Lemon was beheaded and his family sat in a pow-wow as they gave blood.

"I'm trying to make up for what I've done." I bring my knees up to my chin and look at the floor.

"You mean save a life? That's nothing to be ashamed of. Your parents would appreciate that more than anyone; they were the ones who started the idea, anyway."

"What?" How is it I know less about my parents than a shelter inhabitant and an Arnica transfer?

"My family, we've always been inspired by them for what they did." He leans in so close I can see the veins in those eyes and the chapped cracks in his lips. "No one had ever been brave enough to save a Toadflax before, even though many talked about it."

"Okay, you're the second person today to spill that secret about my parents. Why didn't they tell me?"

"I thought you knew. I guess they were trying to protect you."

I sit up as anger fuels adrenaline. "And how could you let me endanger them if you knew they already had an offense on record?"

"Fuchsia, I - I should have known you wouldn't endanger your family on purpose. I'm sorry. You just looked so in charge of your decision and in my tribe we take that kind of conviction seriously, no matter the consequences."

"Well, after I help Lemon, it will all go back to normal. That's what Burnish says." I try to look brave but he sees right through my tight jaw.

"Fuchsia. it's a very generous gift you're giving, and very dangerous."

I only know of one person who has donated nutrients, for her college roommate. They both survived and got their happy ending. I hadn't even thought about the risk to my health. I was just focused on the terror of the actual procedure. But Cord's a healer's son so if I want to know what I'm getting into, now is my chance to ask. "Does it take long?"

"A day for the first procedure and a week of recovery if you're lucky. If she responds well, they may ask you for another siphoning."

"Siphoning?" That word makes my skin crawl.

"They'll hook your roots up to the machine so her hausteria can siphon nutrients." He reaches for my hand. "Fuchsia, you should know. There is a chance you won't make it, or a chance you'll be scarred for life even if you do."

"What are my odds?" I squeeze his hand tightly.

He gulps. "Fifty-fifty."

A/N: Uh didn't read the fine print, did she? Oops, guess Fuchsia's in too deep to back out now.

This chapter is dedicated to @renkaye renkaye a fantastic writer whose work, Blaze, will leave you hot, thirsty and thankful for every drop of our precious clean water.