The Day I Left My Family

Start from the beginning

There was that name again. "Who's Drake Pennal?" I asked.

The room felt as if someone had sucked out all the air. No one met my eyes. Finally, Granmam broke the silence.

"When I was your age, Terri," she said, "Drake Pennal was the commander of the halfants at Redwood Compound. It's the outpost protecting the giant side of the portal staffed by halfants. Moreno works at Redwood."

"He was thrown out," Moreno said. "Drake was cruel and made decisions that got our people killed. He also made our outpost formidable because he was paranoid. He's a criminal, but he made my home a fortress."

"Doesn't sound like all your halfants are good," I said.

"Drake is dead, little girl," Mrs. Dorkepski said. "I hated the man. He deserved his fate. With all the deaths on his hands, there was nothing more fitting, especially after his negligence got his grandson killed."

"We aren't discussing Todd or the Pennals," Moreno said. "It's not important."

"You just said my visions are important," I said. "So why not tell me?"

"Because..." Moreno looked angry. "Because you can see anything that might happen. It's better not to fixate, especially when your vision is likely twenty years away."

"I want to know what she saw," Mrs. Dorkepski said. "Spill girl."

"I'm afraid that's not terribly productive, Athelda," Granmam said. "Redwood is safe, Terri. The current commander is a good friend of mine. His name is Bryan Station. However, his Lieutenant Alana McDonald is running the place in his absence."

"She's the best," Moreno said. "And I have a feeling you'll like her."

Emma rolled her eyes. "He's biased since she's practically his person. Alana is difficult at best."

Moreno's hands went to his waist, where a blade was strapped. I half questioned if he was about to chunk it at Emma. Instead, he drew the blade and spun it in his hand.

I didn't know why I thought Moreno might throw the blade at the girl who said bad things about his person. Somehow, the title seemed more intimate than a girlfriend or significant other.

"Alana isn't so bad," Dylan said. "But you get her and Moreno together..."

"Lieutenant McDonald is one of the best soldiers that Half Circle had trained in years," Granmam said. "And Moreno is the second best. They can keep Terri safe. I'd even trust them to train her to defend herself."

Dad stood up abruptly. "Terri isn't becoming a soldier for a kingdom that will hate her. Mam, we kept her all away from this intentionally."

I stared at my dad. Yet again, here he was, sticking his head in the sand. A guy in an elevator probably would have kidnapped me without Moreno, and everyone was so sure that others were coming.

"Chuck," Granmam said. "You can't do this to her anymore. Terri is eighteen."

"And I think completely shielding her made her completely unprepared for a day you knew was inevitably coming," Moreno said. "She should have started training when she was fourteen like the rest of us."

"Being a lord doesn't give you the right to run your mouth," Dad snapped. "And I kept Terri far safer than your family managed to protect you in the human world."

If the front door hadn't been practically thrown off its hinges by half-brothers at that moment, I think Moreno might have punched my father. He glowered as Geoff and Nath ran into the room and nearly knocked Granmam off her feet.Elise followed them inside, looking exhausted. Jilly was on her heels, looking worried, but her face softened when she saw me.