Chapter Thirteen

" Have you seen Pentos, I've been wondering what it might look like after so many years "

" That Godforsaken city, I visited one, didn't like it "

Baela doubted Joffrey liked anything. Many striking fears into the hearts of the people around him brought him joy, he was evil, that much she knew. But yet again she was used to being around men like him. She stood beside him, watching the head hanging from a spear. It wasn't a beautiful sight, when she looked at the king beside her she found him with a cheerful smile on his face.

" That is Ned Stark, Warden of the North. My father used to look up to him, he was rumored to be one of the strongest men in all of the Seven Kingdoms. Look at him now.  "

" You deprive joy from the pain of others "

Joffrey looks at her, more like glares. " Don't say that again "

" You deprive joy from the pain of others "

" I said to not say it again! " He snarls, and just to piss him off Baela repeats her words. She laughs at the angry expression on his face. Maybe the king wasn't used to people standing up to him, he was a spoilt brat who thought he could get his way. Baela has dealt with worse people with worse personalities. Joffrey was no threat.

" My apologies your Grace. Is there anything else you wish to show me? "

" My chambers "

" Why? " She draws closer to him, purple eyes taking in his features. " What's in your chambers? "

" I would at least expect a Noble lady to respect personal space "

" Ah, formalities were never my best treats. Some say I am wild, uncontrolled, just like my father. But those people end up losing their tongues. Father quite enjoys my personality, used to anyway. Now he wishes I was more docile "

" Because of your betrothal? "

" Exactly. He wants me to marry Aegon and smile at the entire kingdom. He wants me to be happy, he wants me to accept the fact that he is tossing me into the Lion's den. All because he wishes to please her, it's always about her. Favorite daughter, favorite niece, favorite wife "

Baela used to think good of Rhaenyra, she had listened to her father when he said that her stepmother was going to be the Queen, and marrying her would secure their position in Kings Landing. Can't have the greens take over, can't let Aegon become King. So Baela had been a good daughter and had listened, she had supported her stepmother. But it was getting out of hand now. She still found herself loathing her, because her father had moved on so easily after her mother's death. It was whispered in Pentos how Daemon had just been eager for an opportunity to wed his niece, she was the one he truly desired. Baela's mother had loved the wrong man, it was her mistake.

She watches the head hanging on the spear once more, she tries to picture Rhaenyra's head instead, and the mere thought leaves a bitter smile on her face. A couple of days back and Baela would have thought of Aegon's severed head instead because she had believed him to be the villain for the longest time. She hated him, he and his brother who had stolen vhager, a dragon which should have belonged to her sister. And when Lucerys took his eye, Baela remembered thinking how much he deserved it. That feeling died quickly when the warm splash of his blood hit her face. She had nightmares about that, some worse than others. And now, if she had to choose between her sister's betrothed and Aemond, she would go for the latter without much thought. Maybe she was changing, she was becoming a green. Her father would certainly not be happy about this.

Seeing Ned Stark's head reminded her of Uncle Vaemond, her sweet uncle who brought her sweets and flowers, gone. All gone. Baela takes in a shaky breath, she turns her eyes away from the head las she ends up spilling the contents of her stomach. She smiles at Joffrey who has been watching her all this while. He likes watching her like she is a puzzle he is trying to piece together.

" You should visit Pentos, it's lovely "

He ignores her words " I have no idea what Kings Landing was two centuries ago, but it must have been an awful place "

" Oh, it wasn't always that bad. I think...it was good, when we were children " Before her mother died, she had lived a peaceful life, training her dragon and playing with her sister. Everything had been easy. Until Rhaenyra came into their lives. " I don't blame her though, Rhaena thinks I do but...I just think things would have been better. She is a child "

" Rhaenyra? "

" Yes. The Queen, future Queen "

" You believe she will be Queen "

" I don't, but I hope she becomes Queen. Maybe things will finally get easier. If Joffrey becomes King, my father will never let it go. Even if my stepmother gives up, he won't "

" You fear him "

" No, " Yes, she feared him the most. But she loved him as well, she wanted him to be happy, to be satisfied. But she learned a long time ago that her father was never easily satisfied. He found interest in something and then turned his back on it the very next minute. " I don't "

Joffrey rolls his eyes, he finds her response infuriating. He could sense fear when he saw it, he was used to people looking at him with the same look in Baela's eyes whenever she talked about her father. She feared him yet she desperately wanted to please him. It was amusing. He did like seeing people so frustrated, she had been right about one thing, the pain of others did bring him pleasure. So when he approached her, his fingers going to play with her hair, he had no idea why those strands of grey curls fascinated him so much. He wanted to say something snarky, pour salt in her wounds, and watch her break down, he would enjoy that. But when her purple eyes looked up at him, trying desperately to hold himself back, Joffrey found himself unable to mock her. She held his hand, pressing it closer to her skin as if desperate for his touch. Not his touch, just any touch that could bring her comfort. He swallowed hard.

" If you don't like it, you can stay here "

" My place isn't here "

" Your place is wherever you want it to be. Well, unless you are anything but a Noble. "

" You are a Purist, like my father "

" From all I've heard about your father, that was not a compliment "

Baela laughs. It's a nice sound. Joffrey finds himself smiling even though the last thing he should be doing is having a good time with the Targaryen girl. Don't get too find, eventually, you'll have to let her go.

" It's getting so late. I should go back "

" You will come back. And you won't keep me waiting "

" I'll come back " She repeats. This time he doesn't find it annoying. " And I won't keep you waiting "

Joffrey nods. He watches her leave, going back to her Dragon. He hates it that he already longs for her presence. She was strong, she was brave, she talked to him like she didn't care who he was, that the fact he could have her pretty head didn't matter to her. Pretty and brave. Beautiful