fifty four - azriel

Start from the beginning

"Do you know why I did this to you? Do you understand why you deserved this?" Rhysand growled. A primal part of me cowered at his voice. It was a promise of death, a promise that I would not survive his wrath. A sick part of me reared its head, grinning wildly at the prospect.

"I do," I rasped, my voice sounding like I swallowed half the cliffside. I watched Cassian wince, looking out the window rather than me. I'm sure I was something to behold.

"If you ever put her in danger again, I will fucking destroy you, Azriel. I don't care who we are, you will be nothing but my fucking prey."

I look forward to it.

"I understand."

"Cass, go fetch a healer. Set his bones and get him some drafts. I don't want to look at him."

Cass nodded, Rhys dropped me. A pained groan left me as my face hit the floor. My knees tucked beneath me, Cassian's hand taking me under the shoulder to lift me. My breaths came in and out short, head hung as he led me from the room.

"Why didn't you fight back?" He whispered. I struggled to swallow, cringing at the bloodied drool falling from my lips.

"I deserved it," I ground out. My body screamed in protest as he sat me on the chaise. I lifted my head, meeting his gaze through my one eye.

"I hope you listen to him, because I don't want to ever see you like this again," Cassian croaked.

I won't.

His throat bobbed as he blinked quickly, turning away. I watched as he made his way to the door, glancing over his shoulder.

"I'll be right back."

I didn't respond as I watched him leave. My head dropped again, chest rattling as air fought it's way through the blood in my throat. I would go to her again. I would get her away from that manor and I would unleash myself upon them. I just had to wait until we had an excuse, because Rhysand would have a dagger in my chest before I made it to the Spring Court. I didn't care if he took my life, I only cared that she would be far from those monsters before then.

It was then that I sat with my head low, arms draped over my knees. I thought of my promise to Odessa, our plan. She was already in Windhaven, she had gone just days ago. She was waiting for her daughter, and then they would fly. They'd escape both Aled and Alcaeus and I would help them. I already knew Dawn Court or Day Court would be their refuge. Cauldron, I'd find some way across that new wall and hide them in the mortal lands.

I looked up through my brows as Cassian returned, a healer in tow. Her blue dress was stuck to her stockings, her blonde hair wind blown and eyes wide. I would've laughed if I hadn't felt the way I did. It was obvious she was not used to flying.

"That's him," Cass muttered, dropping into the winged chair across from me. The healer's brows furrowed as she looked to Cassian.

"I believe that is obvious," she remarked. Cassian rolled his eyes before settling further in the chair. He looked relaxed to anyone else, but I saw the tension in his shoulders and jaw.

The healer dropped to a knee in front of me, her satchel falling to the floor. She dug through it, pulling out a cloth. She uncapped a jar and dumped the contents onto the cloth before bringing it to my face.

A growl tore through my chest as pain lanced my left cheek. My eyes narrowed on her. Her hand jerked back, wide eyes on mine.

"Sorry," she murmured, going back in with a gentler touch. As she cleaned my face, I couldn't help but feel like her skills would be far better used on Freyja. I didn't care if my nose healed wrong or if I had a swollen eye for a day. I'd heal quick enough, but surely Freyja needed this.

The now red cloth fell to the floor as she reached into her bag again. My jaw clenched as she grabbed yet another cloth and brought both hands up.

"Breathe in deep. This won't feel nice," she murmured softly, glancing between my eyes as she settled the tips of her fingers against the cloth. Just the gentle touch on either side of my nose had me struggling not to bite her fucking fingers off. The healer gave me a nod, I sucked in a breath, and she set my nose. I jerked back, a feral snarl tearing from me. It hurt less to break the damned thing. It didn't hurt this bad any other time I broke it.

The healer ran the tip of her finger down the bridge of my nose, humming. "The bone is still shattered, it'll heal unevenly but it won't hurt. This cheek, though. I believe it may have to heal as it is."

My eyes glared at Cassian over her shoulder. His brow was raised. The healer ran her finger over my cheek, making me grunt.

"I'd fucking prefer you just do your job and stop feeling me," I snapped. She sat back on her heels, defiant brow raised.

"I have to touch you to heal you, sir. I am doing my job."

Oh my Gods, I was going to wring her neck. Then Cassian's, the damned brute grinning at me.

I bit my tongue and let her touch my face all she wished. The blood from my tongue added to the blood from my torn cheek, flooding my mouth. She dabbed a cream on my cheek, my eye, my jaw.

"He sure did a number on you," the female murmured, meeting my eye as she dabbed at my lip. I grit my teeth. I didn't want her near me, I didn't want her fucking touch. Damn the healing, I wanted Freyja.

Finally, she stood and turned to Cassian. "Shall I heal the Heir's knuckles as well?"

Cassian sighed, pushing off the chair and leading her to Rhysand's room. I rose, groaning at my tense muscles. I deserved what Rhysand did to me, but now the distraction wore off, I wanted my own punching sack. I was back to who I was at my core; fucking angry and bloodthirsty.

I slammed the door to my bedroom, pacing. My body ached from Rhysand's assault as well as how badly I strained against the urge to run to her. I'd been so tense and I didn't think I'd ever find peace until she was in my arms and they were all dead.

I marched into my bathing chamber, glancing in the mirror. Rhysand had nearly killed me. My eye had begun to go down, allowing me to see partially through it. The side of my face was swelled and blackened, my nose bruised as well as my eyes. He could've crushed my skull in, but he didn't, and I was only slightly grateful for that. I just wanted the chance to have her again. It was the only thing stopping me from charging into that manor and slaughtering. If they retaliated, I'd be dead and Freyja would be alone. I was skilled, sure, but not against a High Lord.

"Fuck!" I spat, sending my fist into the mirror. Glass shattered, cutting my knuckles but I hardly felt it. I'd lose my mind in this waiting game. I needed her with Odessa, flying from camp to camp until they reached the ends of the court. I'd save them, I swore to myself. I'd save them both and hide them away. I wouldn't fail like I had before. I wouldn't put them in danger.

The guilt of what Freyja dealt with was as suffocating as the blood I had choked on. Rhysand was right. It was my fault she'd been assaulted. It was my fault she was there now. Shame coursed through me as I let out a whimper, my head dropping between my shoulders as I gripped the counter. I'd do anything to keep her safe. Even if it meant leaving her there a little longer.