forty seven - azriel

My body sang for her. Freyja's lips on mine, silencing her endless cries; it was a thing of terrible beauty. I felt her tears against my thumbs and lips, I felt the way she shook. I wanted to
bring her from here, but it wasn't time. As much as I despised leaving her here with those fucking males, I could not save her yet.

I'd planned it with Odessa throughout the week. When they believed Freyja would be ready for the wedding, I would take her away. I would meet Odessa in Windhaven, give her Freyja, and they'd fly to the next village. They would continue to move until they couldn't be tracked. It was all we could do.

Freyja could hardly kiss me back. A sob wracked through her, small hands clutching the fabric of my jacket. It pained me to see her like this but I did the best I could. I kissed her until her cries ceased, left only with a tremble. I tilted her head back, diving into her like I'd never kiss her again. It felt that way, knowing I had to leave her with them.

I pulled back, opening my eyes to find hers still closed. Her head fell forward in my hold. The exhale that left me ached and I couldn't stand the distance. I pulled her into my chest again, wrapping my arms around her so tight, she may not have breathed.

"I'm so sorry," I croaked. Her head shook beneath my cheek. I kissed her hair again and again. It filled me with a certain kind of rage to scent them on her, to taste them on her tongue. I wanted to slaughter them all and leave this manor in ruin, but I knew well enough that it would be a diplomatic mistake. With the Heir of the Night Court within these walls, leaving a trail of blood would lead all other High Lords to Alcaeus. As much as he deserved that, it would be fatal for Odessa, Freyja, and Rhys.

"Take me home, please. I'd rather be with my father than here," she cried, smothered by my chest. My eyes squeezed shut as I held her tighter.

"You know I can't do that," I whispered. I couldn't let her know of my plan with Odessa. If she became aware, she may make mistakes while here.

"I cannot live another day without you."

A tear fell free from my lashes, a wheezing exhale leaving me.

"Azriel, I cannot bear it. I cannot bear my life in this manor. I am a body to use, a mind to abuse. I am nothing here."

I kissed her head again if only to smother my whimper. I'd never felt pain like this.

Kill them.
Leave their entrails in your wake.
Bring her home.

My shadows curled around my mind, curled around us. As if Freyja was the prized possession of a dragon, their misty talons curled into her. They did not want to leave her either. Freyja shivered, sniffling against me. My muscles twitched as I pulled away from her, every fibre of my being screaming to protect her.

"You need to go to supper, and you need to keep yourself safe. Do you understand me? Whatever you need to do, I will save you from it when I have you again, but you must do it to survive. Live for me, Freyja. You survive this, and I will be there to hold you when you fall."

She shuddered, blinking her eyes open. It felt as if she plunged a dagger into my chest. Freyja searched my eyes as if she didn't understand what I had said, but then her eyes widened. She shook her head, lip trembling.

"No- No, please, don't-."

"I can't take you today, Freyja. I will find you again, you know that. I will never leave you to suffer," I whispered, brushing her tears away. She bit down on her lip as if to stop it from trembling. "I love you, Freyja. You are so strong, so brave. You can play your role, be docile and silent, and when I see you again, we can both be loud and vengeful, okay? Hold onto that, hold onto me, and you won't be alone."