Chapter 11

The entire week is terrible. Everyone stares at me as I walk down the halls and a few even ask me about the baby. Not very good things of course, but I don't expect that. Austin is hanging out with me publicly since my reputation is actually below his now. Last time I saw Drew, he had a black eye. I looked over to Ken at this time and he was wearing a coy smile. Drew's been avoiding me though, so I don't see him much.

Ken, Shelby, Austin, and Kate have all stuck by my side risking their popularity. I love them. So now I'm at home on Saturday. The first Saturday in two years that I am not doing anything. I'm just sitting down eating ice cream and watching sad movies. I know, I'm hopeless.

Suddenly, my phone rings. I answer it and it turns out to be the doctor. She confirms our appointment.

As soon as my call finishes, Shelby slams the front door open. She smiles at me and I slip my shoes on. We are going maternity shopping. I'm not too big yet, but I want to be ready when my clothes don't fit.

We go to a couple stores and I soon have a whole new wardrobe. Not quite the wardrobe I was wishing for last Christmas, but they're clothes.

The two of us end up having a sleepover at her house since she has big news for me. We have pizza with ice cream first as she wants to build up the tension. She finally decides to tell me the big news in her room. I sit on the bed before she goes to close the door.

"Don't want my parents to hear. They'd freak!" She says after locking it. I contemplate for a few seconds of what she's going to say until I give up and look at her hopelessly.

"Alright, so here's the big news!" She says excitedly. "Ken and I kinda, had our first time!" I realize what she means "Don't worry, we used protection!" She says before I panic.

"Ew! That's my brother!" I say a little too loudly. She shushes me before laughing.

"I won't give details. Unless you want them." She adds. I end up slapping her gently in the arm before laughing. "I'm just kidding. I'll just say that it was, well, amazing. And it helped that it wasn't our first times either."

I make a disgusted face at her which causes her to burst out laughing. She becomes serious and lays her hand on mine which is resting on the bed.

"Seriously, I love him." I smile at her statement. She's never actually loved anyone and the two are perfect for each other.

"I know you do. And he loves you too." I reply. This gets her embarrassed and her cheeks become red.

"You think he loves me too? We've never said it." She says shyly. So they did it, but haven't said 'I love you'? She sees my confused expression and giggles.

"It just happened. We didn't plan it." She says, answering my unsaid question.

We talk about other things that night and end up falling asleep on her bed.

I wake up to a certain taste in my mouth I that I've grown used to. I run to the bathroom and look up afterwards to make sure I didn't wake Shelby up. I didn't. I go back to the bed feeling exhausted and close my eyes. I don't fall asleep though.

I stay in bed with my eyes closed for a half hour. Giving up, I get up and go to the living room. I turn on the tv and look through Shelby's recordings. I see a couple shows that I like and Rock Paper Scissors myself to see which to watch. It surprisingly isn't very effective. I'll just watch both.

"Hey!" Shelby comes out later while I'm watching the second show. I look up to her to see her messed up hair with a perky face. She's also a morning person, one of the reasons we're best friends.

She jumps over the back of the couch and plops down next to me. We watch the rest of my show and Shelby turns to me. She puts her hand on my shoulder and turns the tv off with the other.

"How are you doing with this? The pregnancy, school, everything?" She asks me seriously. I think about this staring down. I look back up into her big brown eyes.

"I don't think it's really registered yet. Sure, I have morning sickness and all the rumors and stuff, but I'm just going on like its normal. I'll keep you updated though." I say. She sits back turning the tv back on satisfied.

I eventually stand up and make breakfast in the big kitchen that I've always been jealous of. Shelby lets me spend the night a lot because I always cook her breakfast. I know, I should be mad, but I love hearing her talk to me about my cooking.

I end up leaving around noon after cooking lunch for her parents and her little brother, Wyatt, who's just a year younger than us.

I walk home to screaming. I instantly run to the source as I hear crying in the mix also. I find the family room with Ken, Tommy, and mom. Tommy is lying on the floor crying and holding his face while mom is screaming at Ken. He has his hands up in surrender. She has a knife in her hand.

I run up behind her and try to swipe the knife out of her hand. She has a tight grip on it though and she whips around to face me. She pushes me into the nearest wall and I end up on the floor holding my stomach. Mom kicks me at the chest right above my stomach and pulls back again before Ken grabs her from behind. He turns around and throws her on the ground. She knocks out from hitting her head on the coffee table.

I get up and race toward Tommy. I gently pry his hand off his face and see that mom swiped his cheek with the knife. Ken comes behind me with a wet towel for me to wash the blood.

"I checked her. She's just knocked out." He tells me. He then grabs her under the arms and pulls her outside. I don't know where he puts her as I stay with Tommy. He's still crying and tries to touch it. I swap his hand away and guide him to the bathroom.

The cut isn't deep or big, so I just put a band aide right over it. He looks in the mirror and turns around hugging me tightly. The hug is desperate as if he's searching for something to hold on to. I hug him back just as tightly and he calms down.

"Why did mommy do that?" He mumbles into my clothes.

"I don't know Tommy. I guess she's just sad and she drinks bad things that makes her do bad stuff." I say quietly.

"Why?"

"Because the bad things make her think she's happy, but she's really not."