Chapter 5

I wake up the next morning and go to the bathroom. It's weird, not like my normal periods. It's less. I brush it off though, glad that it's not heavy again.

We go through the morning routine and Drew takes us to school. We hang out together and he has no work on Saturday. We decide to go out to dinner and a movie. When I see Kathryn walk straight up to me, I tense. However, Drew squeezes my hand and it calms me down.

"Hi Nicole! I'm having a party Friday night. You can bring Drew!" She says enthusiastically.

"Oh I can't. I'm working that night." Drew says truthfully.

"Oh, well you can bring someone else. Just not that." She points across the parking lot. I follow her finger and see that she's referring to Shelby. No matter how hard it is, I keep my cool.

"Oh, I can't go then. She always goes to parties with me." I smile. Her open expression turns to an evil smirk.

"Oh well. I'll just ask Ken then." She says. I shrug and smile. She then walks straight over to him where he's talking to Shelby. I watch the whole thing. She talks to Ken and he asks her something back looking over at Shelby. Kathryn shakes her head no and he shrugs while shaking his head no also. Kathryn then storms off into the school leaving a smiling Ken and laughing Shelby.

Drew and I walk over to the two. Ken now joins in her laughing as we approach them.

"You guys busy Friday?" Ken asks us. Shelby looks confused when I send her a questioning look.

"Sorry, I'm working." Drew says for the second time that day. Ken looks to me and I shake my head no to answer his question.

"No, why?" Shelby says.

"Because I wanted to hang out that night. And so I can have an excuse when girls ask me out." He says the last part discreetly. Shelby and I giggle at the attention he's getting.

"Well, what were you planning on doing?" I ask him. He looks to me with his evil grin. Oh no.

"We are going to my place." He says. I guess that isn't too bad. "And watching horror movies all night!" Oh no. I'm fine with scary movies, but Shelby is terrified of pop-outs. I look over at her to see a horrified expression.

Drew laughs beside me while Ken looks over at Shelby. His expression turns to regret. "It's okay! We can go swimming or bowling! We don't have to watch scary movies!" She sighs out of relief and blushes at Ken's attention.

I smile at the two as Ken suggests more places to go. Drew is distracted on his phone and looks over at me. "I guess I'm off for Friday! They hired a new guy, so they want to give him a little bit of everybody's hours." He smiles.

"Yay! Okay guys,-" I say to Ken and Shelby which brings them out of his rambling. "-Drew can come." I say. The two smile.

"So I guess we'll be having a double date!" Drew says. The two of us walk away together leaving the two shocked.

"Wait, you know they like each other?" I ask Drew.

"It's obvious." He replies.

"I just thought guys were totally oblivious when it came to that." I say smiling to myself.

"Now hold on a minute! Just because I'm-" he's cut off by the bell. I giggle at him and kiss him quickly before leaving to first period.

Shelby and Ken walk into the classroom awkwardly as they are still embarrassed by what Drew said. The two sit on either side of me. That's when I remember yesterday.

I pull a piece of paper from my notebook and write a question for Shelby.

What were you going to ask me yesterday?

She reads it and thinks about what to say before writing and passing it back to me.

Oh nothing! My question was answered.

I nod and actually listen to the teacher until I get a note from Ken.

Can I ask you a question?

Many many questions, I think to myself. I write a quick yeah and pass the note back to him. He takes a little bit to write it and reluctantly gives it back to me.

Is Shelby seeing anyone?

It says. I smile at the note and look over at him. He avoids eye contact and looks down shyly while fiddling with his hands. He's so adorable when he's shy.

Nope. But you better hurry. I hear from Drew that she's got a secret admirer.

I pass him the note and his eyes shoot open. He looks over at me and I fake a sad nod. He sighs and looks back at the note.

After class, he hangs out with Shelby. I think he's going to ask her out, but the two act like friends during lunch.

Drew and I sit across from Shelby and Ken during lunch and suddenly, Ken pulls Shelby outside the cafeteria. He looks nervous and I know exactly what he's doing. I pull Drew outside also with him protesting behind me. I look back to shush him by putting my finger over his mouth. He licks it. I pull my finger back rubbing it on my clothes.

We turn around the corner to jerk back because I see Ken stopping. Drew and I peek around the corner to watch them and we're just within earshot.

"Ken, what are you doing?" Shelby asks him. He puts his hand over hers and she shuts up. I look over at Drew and he just smiles casually. I scoff and look back at the two.

"Just listen, okay? I don't really know you, but ever since I met you, I know there's something between us. I don't know exactly what, but I hope you feel it too. So please, give me a chance. Will you go out with me?" Shelby smiles and hugs him as if saying yes. I made an aww face looking over at Drew. He nods smiling and looks at me. I smile back at him. We almost kiss, but we hear the two walking our direction.

We run back to our seats in the cafeteria and barely make it. The two walk in holding hands and laughing. Kathryn walks up to them with cool aid in her hand. She lifts it up to pour it on Shelby. Ken pushes her lightly making the cool aid spill all over Kathryn.

"Don't even think of doing that to my girlfriend." Ken says just loudly enough for everyone to hear. I literally make an aww noise now joining all the other girls at our table. Shelby also makes the noise and hugs Ken. Kathryn runs out of the cafeteria crying.

The new couple come to the table and look over at us. We smile at them and they can tell we know the news.