Chapter 2

I get up around eight the next morning. I've always been an early waker, if that's what you'd call it. My mother is probably still asleep, so I have to wake everyone up. This is my normal routine every Sunday.

I walk into my Kate's room to find her still sleeping with her alarm blazing. She's never been able to wake up early. I get her up every morning.

"Kate, wake up!" I yell as she shoots up like every other morning. She looks at me and groans while holding her head. I snicker as I realize she has a hangover. "We're going to dad's today. Get ready."

I walk out into my brother's Cars themed room to see the two sleeping. Caden smiles in his sleep, his brunette hair in a mess. Tommy snores loudly with his mouth wide open. I wake the two up gently knowing this is a better approach for the them.

After getting them up, I walk into the kitchen and start cooking breakfast. I've always loved to cook, and it's what I want to do when I get out of high school. I make some pancakes first, adding my secret flavoring and cook some bacon on the side.

The boys come down first with their best outfits on. Tommy looks excited while Caden can't look angrier. He hates dad for leaving us and he dreads visiting him. I smile sympathetically at him which causes a deeper scowl. Tommy, on the other hand, is practically bouncing up and down on the spot.

I give the two their food which lights up Caden's face immediately. I smile at his happiness as he starts to dig in. Kate stumbles in sill holding her head.

"Aspirin!" She yells at me. I turn around gracefully, unchanged by her behavior, and grab a bottle. I hand her some and she yanks them out of my hand. She swallows the pills and turns to the food grabbing her plate.

The boys are used to this behavior and they know not to tell mom or dad. Last time they did, Kate and I both got yelled at and the boys hate it when there's fighting.

Once we're all done, I run upstairs to get ready myself. After deciding on a gray sweater with black pants and a beanie, I pull on my gray converse and grab my bag.

Everyone is already in the car, so I get my keys and jump into the drivers seat. We get to dad's a little later, arriving around nine. We all get out with Caden slamming his door shut. Kate sends him a warning glare causing him to use a fake smile. When she looks away, his scowl returns.

Tommy knocks at the door and dad opens it. His hair is a big mess and his clothes are messed up.

"Daddy!" Tommy yells jumping into his arms. Caden walks past him and sits on the couch in the living room.

"Hey kids!" My dad exclaims, although he has a worried expression. "Sorry, something at work right now. Can you guys sit on the couch for a bit?" He asks. Tommy is a little disappointed but listens anyway. Kate gives him a quick hug before rushing inside and I give him a hug.

We all sit on the couch as dad walks into the next room. Kate texts her newest boyfriend as she talks about him to me. Caden looks furious on the couch with his foot tapping the floor, an angry habit of his. Tommy looks depressed. His head is down and his body quivers as if he's trying to keep his tears back.

I stand up ignoring Kate and sit beside Tommy. I wrap my arms around his tiny body and it seems to calm him down.

"It's okay. He has news to tell us, remember? Then we'll all be happy!" I tell him encouragingly. He smiles up at me and hugs me back.

"Why isn't Caden happy then?" He asks me curiously. I look over at Caden who is watching us.

"Oh, he's just grumpy because he can't sleep in." I say before glaring at Caden. His scowl deepens again. We all sit like this for a half hour anxiously waiting for dad.

He finally comes in picking Tommy up out of my arms. He looks better. His shirt is now tucked in with his hair combed down a bit.

Kate and I watch Tommy as he giggles. My dad finally lets him down and comes around to sit in between Caden and Kate.

"Alright kids, I needed to talk to all of you about something really important. And I understand if you guys will be angry with me, but this makes me happy. Alright?" He asks us.

Tommy nods smiling with Kate and me. Caden just rolls his eyes, but also looks interested.

"Well, I am getting remarried with my girlfriend, Kathy. She has a kid about your age,-" he gestures to Kate and me. "-and I want you all to meet him. His name is Ken."

Kate laughs at this. "Does he have a girlfriend named Barbie?" She says in between breaths. Even Caden smiles a little at this.

"You don't like my name?" A mystery guy comes in smiling. He has gorgeous blonde hair with dark blue eyes. I can see Kate practically drooling over him out of the corner of my eye.

"Hi! I'm Tommy!" He says walking up to Ken. He hugs him, only getting his legs. Ken looks down in amusement and picks Tommy up easily. He walks in and sits on the couch beside me where Tommy sat before. Tommy sits on his lap and looks over at me.

"I like him!" He whispers to me. I give him a thumbs up before looking over to Kate and Caden. Kate is still staring at Ken while Caden looks raged. He jumps off the couch and turns to dad.

"So first you leave us, then you find a new family! What are you going to do next dad?-" He screams, the word trickling with hatred. "-Leave us to another country? Stop visiting us? You are a sick loser!" He yells before storming out the door. For a seven year old, he has a pretty big vocabulary. Kate quickly runs after him and dad is shocked.

I look over to Ken and Tommy. Ken looks shocked also but smiles reassuringly when he sees Tommy. Tommy is on the verge of tears as he stares at the door. I take him from Ken to hold him on my lap and pull him closer.

"I thought you said it was going to be happy?" He says to me, looking up at me. His hair falls in front of his face, but I can see through it to his green eyes.

"It will be. Just wait." I say as I pull him close to my chest. No six year old should go through this.