33 - evelyn hugo

Magsimula sa umpisa

"He was just cool, Evelyn loved him and i liked how he was never angry at her for anything she done- it's not fair!" I wailed, and i cried to my mom for ten minutes as if this man was someone i knew, he wasn't even a real guy!

"Come downstairs, read the rest downstairs honey" My mom said and rubbed my back, i still knew that Celia was going to die and that her daughter was going to die so i knew there were more tears that were going to unleash themselves and i wanted nothing more than my mom beside me anyways.

I sat next to her on the sofa in the living room, no noises were around and my mom was on her phone answering emails, i was sat behind her legs as she pulled them up beside her and i was leaning against her side, soon i was back into the book.

"Cecelia jamison died of respiratory failure. She was in my arms. In our bed"

"We didn't have enough time"

"I had lost her. My love. My Celia. My soul mate. The woman whose love is spent my life earning. Simply gone. Irrevocably and forever. And the devastating luxury of panic overtook me again"

My cries were louder this time, they took mom by surprise as for a second she was confused but clicked on, she took the book out my hands and pulled me into her side as I threw my head back and cried.

"Why" I sobbed and covered my face with my hands, I knew it was coming but this hit deeper than i expected it too, I hated anything to do with death, it made me severely upset, any time I thought about my mom or my family dying I was always in hysterics.

Mom soothed me, she told it wasn't real and I argued back with her telling her that it felt real and that I was in love with Evelyn and Celia, she nodded her head and agreed with me whilst I cried.

I cried for a long time, that one paragraph really got to me and I kept crying until my eyes hurt and I wanted to continue it, it was written so beautifully.

"Until your daughter dies"

"Nothing I have ever done. Had made me as proud as the day I gave birth to you"

"She made it eighteen months before she passed away. And when they put her in the ground next to her father I broke like I have never broken before. The devastating luxury of panic overtook me. And it has never left"

My mom had to physically hold me tight so I didn't start rolling off the sofa as I lost it, my cries so loud mom needed to quieten me down before the neighbours thought she'd done something to me she said, I was wriggling in her arms and all I wanted was to go back to when John, Celia, Evelyn, Harry and Connor were all happy together.

"It feels so real though" I sob into my mom's neck after she tells me once again that it's not real and it's a made up book.

"Honey, it's just a book, you really need to calm down now" She lifts me into her lap and holds my waist, I purposefully kick the book off the sofa, i don't want anything to do with it anymore, no book has ever made me cry, never mind this hard.

Was I being dramatic? Yes.
Did i care? No.

I was with my mom, and when i was with my mom, I could feel any emotion I wanted to feel, that's how she brought me up, around her I could be anything I wanted to be, say anything I wanted to say and do whatever I wanted to do with no judgement.

My mom was definitely judging but she didn't show it, but I was a sixteen year old girl crying in my mom's arms like a baby because a few characters in a book died, that was definitely judge-able.

"Why is everyone dying" I sobbed into my mom's shoulder, she shushed me and rubbed my back, kissing the side of my head and rocking me slightly.

"Stupid book. But i love it so much" I sobbed harder, I was rambling and I wasn't even sure my mom was listening to me but right now I need to get everything out of my system.

"Every single person she loved, fucking died, John, Harry, Celia, Connor, Robert"

Once I stopped sobbing, which was almost half an hour later, I apologised for kicking the book and picked it back up and started reading again, i didn't have long left and I was intrigued to know why Evelyn Hugo said that Monique wasn't going to like her after something was revealed.

When that something was revealed, I almost screamed as I jumped on top of the sofa and kept reading, my mom was laughing beside me as she shook her head and switched her attention back and forth from me to her phone.

The fact it was all tied together makes me lightheaded with shock and what was even worse was that Evelyn Hugo was going to kill herself a few tears slipped but I ignored as I was still shell shocked by the news of James Grant, what an incredible book.

"Doesn't it bother you? That all anyone talks about when they talk about you are the seven husbands of Evelyn Hugo"

"No. Because they are just husbands.
I am Evelyn Hugo"

-

I've just finished reading the seven husbands of Evelyn Hugo and I'm literally obsessed which is why I've made this in under 20 minutes 😁

I sobbed writing this the paragraphs that are in it make me sob so hard, it's written so beautifully I cannot crying rn