XI. The Shadow of the Deadly Arrow

Start from the beginning

She approaches with Dale, Rick and a few people of the group watch from the distance, Madeleine's frustration and raised voice caught the attention of the group. The tension among them is palpable as the group watches, curious about what's unfolding.

Lori frowns, "What happened?"

"Shane found out Carl had a gun." She sternly states, shaking her head at Lori. "What a great mother you are."

"What? How the hell did this happen?" She questions, glancing over at Carl who's slowly strolling toward them.

Dale sighs, adjusting the hat on his head."Well, it's my fault. I let him into the RV. He said he wanted a walkie, that you sent him for one." He explains, feeling guilty he managed to access a dangerous weapon so easily.

"So on top of everything else, he lied. What's he thinking?"

"I wonder where he learnt it from..." Madeleine trails off, glaring at Lori who ignores her snappy comments.

"He wants to learn how to shoot. He asked me to teach him." He looks around the Grimes family members with a knowing look. "Now it's none of my business, but I'm happy to do it. It's your call."

Lori shakes her head, "I'm not comfortable with it." Rick locks eyes with her and the women scoffs. "Oh, don't make me out to be the unreasonable one here. Rick?"

Rick places his hands on his hips with a sigh, "I know. I have my concerns too, but-."

Lori cuts him off with a furious expression. "There's no but. Mads was just shot. His sister! She's just back on her feet and he wants a gun?"

"Better than him being afraid of 'em." Madeleine chimes in, Lori not liking the idea of her young child even holding a weapon of any kind. "He wants to protect us, most importantly himself. Sooner or later, it's going to happen."

"She's right. There are gun in camp for a reason. He should learn to handle them safely." Rick backed up his daughter, but Lori doesn't back down as she argues back.

"I don't want my kid walking around with a gun."

"But how can you defend that? You can't let him go around without protection." Rick argues back, Madeleine glancing back at her brother and she sends him daggers with her eyes, the young boy recognising the scolding look.

Lori continues shaking her head, "He's as safe as he'll ever be right here."

"No, he's not. None of us will ever be safe anywhere." Madeleine points out with a glare.

She sighs, running a hand through her hair as she turns toward her husband. "Look, everything you're saying makes perfect sense. It feels wrong. I mean I didn't feel good about him helping in any way. I didn't feel good when we let Mads stay with you and Shane. And I wish I'd said something. I should've gone with my gut."

"He's growing up, for God's sake. And in this world you kill or you're killed. We've got to start treating him more like an adult." Madeleine raises her voice, pointing toward her younger brother and Dale goes uncomfortable for being presence in the family discussion.

"Then he needs to act like one. He's not mature enough to handle a gun."

"I'm not gonna play with it, mom." Carl speaks up, walking up to them. "It's not a toy. I'm sorry I disappointed you, but I want to look for Sophia and I want to defend our camp. I can't do that without a gun." The five of them look back at him, taking in his words.

"Shane's the best instructor I know. I've seen him teach kids younger than Carl." Rick says with a pleading look flooding his eyes.

Lori sighs, stepping to Carl and kneeling down to his eye level. "You will take this seriously and you will behave responsibly. And if I hear from anyone in this camp that you're not living up to our expectations..."