Inside, I listened as Kyle worked. The scrape of flint against wood, the deft movements of his hands—these were the sounds of survival. He emerged, a fish in hand, its scales glinting in the firelight. But it was the knife he wielded that caught my attention—a blade forged from necessity.

"Where'd you get that?" I asked, curiosity tugging at my hunger. The knife was new, its edges keen and purposeful.

"Oh, I made this," Kyle replied, his gaze distant. "Flint, wood, and fiber. Good for scaling fish—for starving friends." His words carried the weight of our predicament. We were more than friends now; we were fellow castaways in a forgotten epoch.

I settled onto my sleeping bag, my stomach growling in anticipation. "Hurry up cooking that," I complained, my impatience unapologetic. Kyle's raised eyebrow met my glare, and he returned to his task. The aroma of roasting fish filled the air, mingling with the scent of ancient earth.

Dinner was a quiet affair. We ate in the fire's glow, our bellies grateful but never sated. Darkness enveloped us, and the forest whispered secrets—rustling leaves, distant calls, and the haunting echo of something unseen. It was then, as the embers waned, that restlessness seized me.

I stepped out of the tent, my bare feet sinking into dew-kissed grass. The woods beckoned—an invitation or a trap, I couldn't decide. Perhaps it was foolish to wander in this dinosaur-infested realm, but fear had dulled its edge. I craved answers, even if they came at the cost of my own safety.

The moon hung low, casting elongated shadows. My breath misted in the chill. And as I ventured deeper into the forest, I wondered if Kyle stirred in his tent, dreaming of fish and survival. Probably not. But then again, on this island lost to time, anything was possible.

And so, beneath the ancient canopy, I walked—a solitary figure in a world that defied reason. The rustling leaves whispered secrets, and the darkness held its breath. Probably, I thought, I would regret this midnight escapade. Probably, I would wish for the safety of my tent. Probably, I would survive.

As I ventured deeper into the dark forest, the air grew thick with ancient secrets. The rustling leaves whispered forgotten tales, and the distant hoot of an owl seemed to echo through time itself. I was a mere wanderer, lost in the primeval embrace of nature.

And then it happened—a sharp snap of a twig, like a thread of reality pulled taut. Instinctively, I spun around, my heart racing. There, in the moon-dappled shadows, I glimpsed a fleeting silhouette. It moved with an otherworldly grace, disappearing into the underbrush. My curiosity ignited, I gave chase, my feet pounding the forest floor.

The chase led me to a moonlit clearing, a sacred space where the ancient trees stood sentinel. Their gnarled branches reached skyward, as if yearning for the stars. In the center of it all sat a massive rock, bathed in silver luminescence. It seemed to hum with energy, a relic from a forgotten epoch.

But it wasn't the rock that held me spellbound; it was her—the girl. Her hair, the color of chestnuts, framed her face like a halo. Her eyes, the green of moss-covered stones, held a quiet wisdom. She sat cross-legged on the rock, her gaze fixed on the moon as if deciphering its secrets.

"Huh," I managed to say, my voice barely audible. She turned toward me, and her smile was like the first rays of dawn after a long night.

"Um, hi! I'm—Ethan," I stammered, my tongue suddenly clumsy.

Her laughter tinkled like wind chimes. "Nice to meet you, Ethan. I'm Lily." The name fit her perfectly—delicate yet resilient, like the petals of a wildflower.

"So—uh, how—uh," I stumbled over my words again. How did one explain stumbling upon a moonlit enchantress in the heart of a forgotten forest?

"I guess you're wondering how I got here, hm?" Lily's eyes sparkled with mystery.