I Tussle for Donuts

Start from the beginning

Once we entered the river, Percy looked tired. I guess saltwater affects Percy more than freshwater does.

Annabeth: There. Past that sandbar.

We veered into a swampy area choked with marsh grass. I beached the lifeboat at the foot of a giant cypress.

Vine-covered trees loomed above us. Insects chirred in the woods. The air was muggy and hot, and steam curled off the river. Basically, it wasn't Brooklyn.

Annabeth: Come on. It's just down the bank.

Theo: What is?

Annabeth: Just follow. And we'd better cover the boat. We don't want to draw attention.

After burying the lifeboat with branches, Tyson, Percy, and I followed Annabeth along the shore, our feet sinking in red mud. A snake slithered past my shoe and disappeared into the grass.

Tyson: Not a good place.

He swatted the mosquitoes that were forming a buffet line on his arm.

We continued walking for a few minutes until...

Annabeth: Here.

All I saw was a patch of brambles. Then Annabeth moved aside a woven circle of branches, like a door, and I realized I was looking into a camouflaged shelter.

The inside was big enough for four, even with Tyson being the fourth. The walls were woven from plant material, like a Native American hut, but they looked pretty waterproof. Stacked in the corner was everything you could want for a campout-sleeping bags, blankets, an ice chest, and a kerosene lamp. There were demigod provisions, too—bronze javelin tips, a quiver full of arrows, an extra sword, and a box of ambrosia. The place smelled musty, like it had been vacant for a long time.

Percy: Half-blood hideout. You made this place?

Annabeth: Thalia and I...And Luke.

That shouldn't have bothered me. I mean, I knew Thalia and Luke had taken care of Annabeth when she was little. I knew the three of them had been runaways together, hiding from monsters, surviving on their own before Grover found them and tried to get them to Half-Blood Hill. But whenever Annabeth talked about the time she'd spent with them, I kind of felt...I don't know. Uncomfortable?

No...Jealous would be the right word.

Theo: So...You don't think Luke will look for us here?

Annabeth: (shakes her head) We made a dozen safe houses like this. I doubt Luke even remembers where they are. Or cares.

She threw herself down on the blankets and started going through her duffel bag. Her body language made it pretty clear she didn't want to talk.

Theo: Percy, Tyson? Would you mind scouting around outside? Like, look for a wilderness convenience store or something?

Percy nodded in understanding.

Tyson: Convenience store?

Theo: Yeah, for snacks. Powdered donuts or something. Just don't go too far.

Tyson: Powdered donuts. I will look for powdered donuts in the wilderness.

He headed outside.

Tyson: Here, donuts!

Percy looked at me and shrugged before following Tyson.

Percy: Hey, big guy! Wait up!

Once they were gone, I sat down across from Annabeth.