Chapter 10: All Good Days Must Come To An End..

Start from the beginning

"Nah, grandpa said our kind stopped showing ourselves to humans long before he was even born." was my response.

"WHO IS THIS ALETTE YOU SPEAK OF?" asks Papyrus.

"Oh, she's apparently a Bitty that lived a long time ago," I answer as I turn to face him, "The story is she sacrificed her life to protect our clan, I'm not sure how much is true, but my grandfather claimed to know her."

"THAT'S SO SAD." declares Blue, "BUT... BUT I AM GLAD YOUR CLAN IS SAFE! WHAT WAS SHE PROTECTING YOU GUYS FROM?"

.

.

.

"I'm not sure..." I answer hesitantly, "They say her sacrifice is the reason why our home is a haven for us, but I don't know why."

"HOW PUZZLING INDEED," Papyrus says while scratching the bottom of his chin, "BUT I THE GREAT PAPYRUS LOVES A GOOD PUZZLE! MAYBE WE CAN HELP FIND THE ANSWER!"

But Blue counters this and says, "BUT WHAT IF THERE ISN'T REALLY AN ANSWER, EVEN [Y/N] DOESN'T KNOW IF THE STORY IS TRUE."

Papyrus deflates at this revelation, and it breaks my heart to see him so downtrodden, so I speak up and say, "Well, I don't know which parts of the stories are true or not... But! Now that I think about it, there has to be something protecting the clan."

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN SOMETHING IS PROTECTING THE CLAN?" Blue asks, intrigued by this new revelation.

"I mean," I elaborate, "the forest is filled with so many creature that are a danger to Bitties, correct?"

Papyrus, Blue, and Alvin all nod in agreement.

I continue, "And despite that, our little shelter between the trees has never been attacked."

"WAIT, NEVER!?" Blue exclaims with bewilderment!

"Not that I have ever seen in my lifetime." I say with a shake of the head.

"THAT'S REMARKABLE!"

"MIRACULOUS EVEN," Blue proclaims, "THEN SOMETHING HAS TO BE PROTECTING IT, NO DOUBT ABOUT IT."

"Phew," Alvin says with relief, "now I don't have to worry about any squirrels coming into my bedroom."

"Pfft, haha!" I laugh, "Is that something you've been worried about?"

Alvin hesitates, "......... Maybe..."

Everybody jumps when there is suddenly a knocking sound. We all turn to look at the opening to the room, where the door is wide open. And there stood Sans, casually leaning against the doorway.

"you 4 having fun?" he asks casually, "it's getting late, the bitties should be heading home."

Papyrus, Blue, and Alvin awed with disappointment.

"Do we have to go?" Alvin pouts.

"sorry kid," Sans shrugs, "but we wouldn't want you walking through the forest after dark."

Alvin practically clings to me as he begs, "Can we stay longer? Please! We could stay the night! That way we don't have to be in the forest at night, please!?"

"Do your parents know you are here with me?" I ask.

"... Um... No..." Alvin answers.

"Then no, we are not staying the night." I say with no room for discussion, "I'm not going to let your parents be worried all night, wondering where you went."

"Aw man..."

"MAYBE YOU CAN STAY THE NIGHT ANOTHER TIME, LITTLE ONE." Papyrus suggests, "BUT NEXT TIME, BE SURE TO TELL YOUR PARENTS."