Chapter 8

Strangely, Ash still didn't come back. It had been approximately 18 hours since Ryan's parents left. Should he text him to let him know that his parents have left? Should he call- no, there's no way he has the courage to call him after that night.

"I should probably text him". He takes out his phone and presses on Ash's contact in the messaging app. This was their first ever texting conversation. He had no idea how to tell him.

Fuck it, he'll just tell him that it is okay to come back to the dorm. Yes.

Me:
They left.
No response

Ugh, whatever he is not a kid that he should worry about. But before he could even blink his eyes, the door opened, revealing Ash with his backpack. Ryan immediately stands up in front of him, "you're back? Where did you-

"None of your business". Tone cold as ice.

Not the cold treatment again. After so many efforts, it all goes down to waste. "Ash please I'm sorry I-

"I'm not mad about you almost calling me a slur. I just....remembered something, that's it. It's not you". He says in that same tone with a little warmth in it.

"Y-You can talk to me about it, I'm a good listener-
"I can't. In the least hurtful way possible, I can't tell it to you. Just know one thing....

You're the purest soul in the midst of monsters. Be wary of them, they're very close to you"

-

Those words don't leave Ryan's mind. In class, in practice, while eating and before sleeping, it replays like a tape recorder.

Monsters, they're near you, they're so close to you, what does this mean?

We all have monsters roaming inside our minds. They taint us and ruin us. Destroy you to shreds and manipulate you. Those monsters?

They reside within you.

He suddenly felt an arm around his shoulder, knowing that it was Liam. Currently they were in the field, watching Emma and Ash annoy Michelle as she tries to punch them.

"They sure act like carefree kids in this cruel world". Liam softly smiles while dearly looking at them from a small distance.

"It must feel nice to have real friends right? The ones who don't judge you and when you make a mistake, they correct you rather than letting you fall into a deep hole". Ryan says with a sad smile. Now he realizes that the friends he had back then were nothing but fake and cruel.

The fact even he was like them, but now his mind feels at peace, being surrounded by real friends.

"We've been through a lot. It would be nuts to just let go of each other. My star being my other half, my soulmate". Ryan looks at Liam and sees his eyes shining as he merely utters Michelle's name. The eyes which scream we were destined to be with each other.

"How did you and Michelle meet?" Ryan asks. Liams lets out a sigh before continuing.

"We met Michelle....in a park one afternoon. We were all 11. Emma, Ash and-

Fuck I can't take his name. Not now.

Me..yeah, we three were on the swing when we saw Michelle sitting all alone on a bench. We approached her and she was almost lifeless. She had no joy and never smiled. I still remember how shock she looked when we asked her to join us. It's as if she never had friends".