Chapter 32

Charlotte:

I dress in a casual navy blue dress for the art exhibition while Sebastian dresses in a dark red shirt tucked in grey slacks.

"Looking Good Seb." I tease him as I descend the stairs.

He smiles at me from the bottom and holds his hand out for me.

"I could say the same mademoiselle."

I chuckle and let him lead us to his car. It kind of feels like a date, but I don't point that out to him, it would make things awkward, not to mention, he's in love with Adeline. So I guess it's fine.

He opens the passenger side door for me and I get in. Is this a good time to tell him Adeline asked me to plan her wedding?

When he starts backing out of the garage, he looks like Anthony. With that focused look in his eyes and the slight furrowing of his brows.

"This may be a bad time to tell you this, but Adeline hired me to plan her wedding."

"So I've heard." He glances my way and focuses back on the road.

I want to smack my forehead. Of course Adeline must have told him.

"I owe you an apology Charlotte."

"For what?"

"For blatantly disrespecting you and having an affair with Addy."

I look at him in confusion. This Sebastian is a far cry from the Sebastian I first met.

"You don't have to apologize Sebastian. You've made it clear from the starting. That you love Adeline and I'm free to be with who I wish. It feels like I'm the other woman, not that I'm saying that about Adeline, so sometimes, it feels like I'm the one who should be apologizing."

He winces at that. "Harsh, wasn't I?"

"Hey, that's all behind us. Look at us now, actually being friends and going to an art exhibition." I elbow him teasingly and he smiles.

"Quite the optimist, aren't you?"

"I've also been called kind, pretty, caring, understanding and so much more."

He laughs at that. "You'll start floating if that head gets any bigger."

The ride passes by in silence after that till we reach the Eden Gallery.

We spend two hours inside the gallery, oohing and aahing over Shirley's artwork. Sebastian ends up buying two pieces and I end up buying one. We even got to meet the artist himself, who was quirky and charming.

"Hungry?" Sebastian asks when we're both seated in the car.

I'm starving, but I just smile at him.
"Not really."

He takes my hand in his and looks at me with remorse and guilt in his eyes.

"I'm so sorry Charlotte. I shouldn't have commented on what you ate. Hell, I eat double the amount you do. I was just being an asshole and prick. You look amazing, the way you are."

I remove my hand from his. Now, I'll feel like a prick if I say I'm not hungry.

"Well, I guess I could eat."

"Great. I know just the place."

He ends up taking us to a Chinese Restaurant, Ming Ming More. I order California Rolls and he gets the, I quote, 'The Juiciest Steak you have'.

We make small talk till our dinner arrives. I know I shouldn't judge, but I just think of the cow that was brutally killed when I look at that steak. Half my revenue goes towards stopping animal cruelty.

He rubs his hands together in anticipation.

"Finally get to eat steak. Dad banned red meat in the household."

That has me pausing mid-chew.

"He did?"

"Yeah, I guess he took it more seriously than you."

"Since when?"

"I'd say about two or three weeks ago." That makes warmth unfurl in my chest and for some reason, it makes my eyes wet. It's just so touching and I feel that in my heart.

I quickly finish my dinner and wait for him to finish his steak.

He pays the bill even though I offer to split it. We get back into the car and drive back home.

"Thanks for coming with me Charlotte. I had a nice time." He says as we get out of the car. I agree with him and we both step into the house. Anthony isn't anywhere in sight, but his smell lingers and my core clenches.

One of the paintings Sebastian bought hangs on the archway. That was fast.

"I'll be in our room." I nod at him and go into the kitchen. When I'm sure the coast is clear, I step into Anthony's room and still don't find him, but I hear the sound of the shower. Not wanting to startle him, I sit on his bed and stare at the painting I bought.
It's a house, doused in shadows, brightened by greenery. A full moon hangs heavy in the sky and if you look close enough there's a lone shadow figure emerging from the forest, another shadow of a wolf by his side. For some reason, the painting called to me and reminded me of Anthony. I felt it in my bones, in my heart.

The man from my thoughts comes out in nothing but a towel around his waist. He dries his hair with another towel and when he realizes I'm on his bed, his face hardens. But, maybe I'm reading him wrong.

"What do you want?"

I ignore his harsh tone and wrap myself around him. It's like something finally clicks into place.

"I missed you so much Tony."

His body relaxes for a fraction of a second before stiffening and pushing me away.

I look at him in confusion.
"What's wrong Tony?"

"You're what's wrong. I'm not in the mood to fuck you. Go back to your husband."

I take a step back from him, as if he's just slapped me. Because that would have hurt less.

He pulls on a shirt and sweats and glares at me.

"Why are you still here? You're supposed to Sebastian's wife, not mine. He's the one closer to your age."

Amidst the hurt and confusion, a surge of anger bursts through.

I fist his shirt with both my hands and try to bring him to my face level.

"I don't care about our age. I only care about you." I plead with him.

"Don't tell me that you don't care about scandals and gossip. This was just your first date with Sebastian. There'll be more to come. He's a good man, raised by me. Go to him."

I try to control the wobbling of my lips and fail miserably.
"I don't care about scandals or gossip when faced with the brutal reality that I'll lose you."

Something shifts in his gaze.
"But I do care. I'm Anthony Crosswalk and I know what I had to face to come up."

"Anthony, please don't do this."

He looks at me and pries my hands off his shirt.
"Desperate doesn't suit you. But it seems like my cock can get hard for sluts too."

The crack of my palm hitting his cheek resonates in the room.

As I flee his room, regret of slapping him coats me and only one thought fills my head.

I love Anthony Crosswalk.