Chapter 18

After the debacle from this morning, I'm barely able to concentrate on work. Through sheer willpower, I get half of the preparations done for Adeline's wedding. I've dealt with a lot of dickheads in my lifetime, in the metaphorical sense of course. But Anthony? I don't know how to deal with him. Deep in my heart, I do feel guilty about lying to his face about Sebastian's whereabouts. Sebastian has been hostile from the very start, and Anthony's the one who made it more tolerable. He did have a point there.

I know I'll need a strong drink tonight. So, I plan a girl's night out with Linda and Harper. I told Julia I'll no longer be taking breakfast to their royal high asses. She was confused, but didn't question it. I've got better things to do anyway. This business doesn't run by itself. Just because it's not as big as Crosswalk Industries, doesn't mean it's little, as Anthony had put it. I get prospective clients from all around America.

I take a small nap on my desk, which is unfortunately filled with a familiar pair of angry hazel eyes.

I jolt awake just as Harper enters through my door.

"When are you going to Chicago?"

"I'm thinking this Thursday. What do you think?" God knows I need a break from the Crosswalk men.

"Okay, just try to be back quickly."

"Why? Do you need me for something?"

"No. It just gets lonely without you here."

"Do you want me to hire you an assistant?"

She laughs. "No, I don't want an assistant. I don't like sharing my workspace."

"I'll try to be back as soon as I can."

"I was thinking of running home real quick to change. This isn't exactly club attire." She says and I look at her flannel and jeans.

"Okay." She leaves and I call Linda so she can directly meet us up at Drunken Sailor, my favorite club. Good customers, good food, good alcohol and an amazing dance floor.

I look down at my own attire. Pencil skirt and a button up. It's more of a corporate attire, not fit for the club. I decide to go and change as well. I lock up the boutique and go home.

Once I'm in my room, I find a blue sequin dress and black stilettos to go with it. This time though, I have to take a clutch with me. I stuff my phone, credit cards, lipstick and some cash into it. Along with my switchblade of course.

I tell Julia I won't be home for dinner and go back to my car. I drive to Harper's apartment and she gets into the passenger seat. She's in a black bodycon dress and she's left her blonde hair is loose waves.

She lets out a low whistle.
"What's that whistle for?"

"For the car and for you, hot mama."

I laugh. "You just stole my dialogue, darling."

We arrive at the club and I spot Linda almost immediately. She's shines in a gold halter dress.

"You look stunning Linda. Linda, this is Harper. Harp, this is Linda."

They both shake hands and I go to the food bar and order a pizza for all of us. The neon blue lighting in the dark club creates a fun atmosphere.

It's pretty packed for a Tuesday night. I quickly text Anthony to inform him that I'll be late.

The pizza arrives and all three of us dig in. As far as margarita pizzas go, this one is delicious.

After I've eaten my fill, I drag Harper and Linda to the dance floor. I catch several guys eyeing them up, but we dance in a close circle.

I'm not a shots kind of girl. I hate the taste of alcohol. The only way I can drink it is through a cocktail, and only the fruity ones.

I go to the bar and get a Piña colada. My favorite. I let Harper and Linda get their drinks of choice. They both end up getting tequila shots. After downing three shots, they go back to the dance floor. I sip on my pina colada and keep a close watch on them.

A nice enough looking, brown hair surfer dude approaches Linda and Harper is swept away by a tatted black haired guy.

Surfer dude keeps his hands above Linda's ass and doesn't seem to be drunk. I can't get a read on the tatted guy. I finish my drink and go back to the dance floor, closer to the both of them.

The drink has loosened me up a little and I start to sway my hips to the beat of the music.

"Hey gorgeous. Dancing by yourself?"

I look up at the man who has a cute, next door neighbor kind of vibe.

"I'm with my friends." I point to Harper and Linda.

"Ah, so if you came here with them, I'm guessing either your husband was too busy to come or trouble in paradise?" His eyes are on my wedding band.

"None of the above nosy Norman. I'm just here to have a fun time."

He nods and starts dancing with me. Not so long after that, I feel someone burning holes into my back. I try to search for the source, but don't find anyone of the sort.

I continue to dance but something prickles my neck. I turn around and gasp when I find hazel eyes staring at me. He's in my space with a few long strides.

"Scram kid." He tells the guy who's dancing with me.

By seeing the look on Anthony's face, he decides it's better not to start a fight and goes away.

"Jones, take Linda home. Safely." He pins surfer dude with a glare.

"Of course sir."

"Harper, come on, I'll drive you home." Anthony tells Harper, stealing the words from my mouth.

Anthony wraps his hand around my wrist and pulls me to the exit, but I halt.

"You can't do this. I want to stay."

He turns around and gets into my face.
"Do. Not. Test. Me."

I swallow and follow him, Harper trailing behind me. He takes the keys to the SUV and makes me sit in the passenger side, with Harper sitting at the back.

Harper tells him her address and I wave her goodnight. The car ride home is taut with tension.

I get out when he parks the car in the garage, but before I can go upstairs, Anthony stops me.

"Go sleep in my bed. I'll sleep in the living room."

"Why?"

"Sebastian is asleep. I don't want you to wake him."

I roll my eyes and go to Anthony's room. As soon as my head hits the fluffy pillow and his smell enters my nose, I'm out cold.