Chapter 12

I immediately fall in love with the ambience of the 25th floor. Dark wood flooring, cream colored walls and soft golden lighting. It's rather romantic in my opinion. But, the word romance and my father in law should be nowhere near each other.

There's a huge oak desk right in front of the elevator, and it seems as if no one is there. But, as soon as I step out of the elevator, an older lady with purple framed glasses looks at me questioningly.

"May I help you?"

"Yes, I came to give breakfast to Mr. Crosswalk."

She raises an eyebrow at me.
"Do you have an appointment? Because you don't look like a delivery girl." She narrows her eyes at me and gives me a once over. My cheeks heat in response.

"Anthony is my father in law."

"Ah, so you're Sebastian's wife."

"Yes."

"Hmm...maybe you're not keeping him happy enough."

My eyes widen in anger. How dare she?

"I don't see how that's any of your business."

She huffs and points to a room. I observe the cream leather chairs to the far right against the wall and knock on the wooden door, which is supposedly Anthony's room.

"Come in."

I enter the room and see him tapping away on a keyboard. The smell of the room is what hits me first. It smells spicy. Like cinnamon, oranges, cedar, and musk all blended into some sort of delicious smell. There's three screens on his table and he doesn't even spare me a glance.

"Hi, I brought breakfast."

"Leave it on the couch." I take a look at the said black couch. I just know if I put it there, it's not going to get eaten. So I sit opposite to him, put Sebastian's breakfast on the floor and open his breakfast box. The smell of Syrniki wafts through the air and it finally catches Anthony's attention.

"Go to Sebastian. He's had a busy day and closed a big deal. He'll want to eat it."

I open my mouth, ready to tell him that he's already probably 'celebrating', but I hold it in. As far as I know, Anthony doesn't know about Sebastian continuing his relationship with Adeline.

"I'll go to him later."

It's then he stares at me. Scrutinizes me with those hazel eyes.

"You do know you're married to Sebastian, do you not?"

"I'm aware Anthony."

Anthony is such a strict, rule follower. I guess it's because he's a parent, but he just seems too...tight. Like maybe he has to let loose. When Julia said that these men need a woman's touch in their lives, she was right. But, not about Sebastian. She was right about Anthony. Even though Anthony's words are at times harsh and straight forward, he's had my back.

This is the least I can do. I put the box of Syrniki in front of him and get up, picking up Sebastian's breakfast. I know Anthony won't be able to resist the smell, just like I couldn't. But, then again, he seems to have a tight leash over himself, so I'm not so sure. As I open the door to leave, I see him take a bite and smile to myself. Looks like even his control snaps when faced with Julia's Syrniki.

I ignore the rude lady from earlier and get into the elevator.

I don't stop at Sebastian's floor, instead directly going to the ground floor where I see the friendly woman from earlier. I give her a bright smile this time.

"Hey sweetie, what's your name?"

"Linda."

"Linda, could you give this to Sebastian if he makes his way down here?"

"Of course." I hand over the bag to her.

"You already gave it to Mr. Anthony?"

"Sure did." I involuntarily frown remembering the rude old lady.

"Is that frown because of Bertha?" Linda whispers.

I can't help but laugh a little. Bertha must be the rude woman with a reputation around here.

"Ah, so you know."

"Yeah." Her tone becomes a little sad and I wonder what Bertha had said to her. Looks like Bertha needs a lesson, if she made such a welcoming person like Linda feel bad.

"Well whatever Bertha said to you? I'm sure it's bullshit." I tell her.

She gives me a small smile.

"I'll get going now. See you." I wink at her and leave. I'm not a big fan of flirting with men, but I sure do love flirting with women. Not that I'm interested in them, but I love seeing them smile.

I get back into the SUV and drive to my boutique. I go inside and get the day's updates from Harper.

My day is packed with work and by the time I'm ready to wrap it up, it's almost midnight. I check my phone and groan when I see several missed calls from Anthony and one from Sebastian.

I call Anthony with my heart in my throat.

He picks up and I can literally feel his anger emanating through the phone.

"I'm so sorry. I was working and I didn't check my phone."

Silence.

"When I work, I don't check my phone till I'm done."

Silence.

"Tell me something Charlotte. What's the main purpose of a phone?"

"To communicate with someone who's far from you."

"So, if no one can communicate with you, tell me why Charlotte. Why do you have a phone?"

I feel like a child being scolded, but technically it is my mistake.

"I'm sorry." I say slowly.

"Do I need to come pick you up?"

"No, I'll be there in ten minutes."

I hang up and lock up my boutique. I sent Harper home a while back. I don't like her staying out late and under any circumstance, I'm the one who locks up my boutique every time.

I get into my car and drive home. My new home. I park the car in the garage and get in through the front door.

I halt in my tracks. Anthony stands in front of me with his arms crossed over his chest, like a jail warden looking at a criminal. He has a soft looking white T-shirt on and grey sweats. Don't look down. Don't look down. Don't look down.

It's a mantra in my head...but I end up looking down anyway. I cover my act up by looking at the floor. My heart starts furiously beating against my chest.

"Anthony, I apologized. I won't do it again next time. Please stop looking at me like that." It's making me wet. My core pulses in tandem with the tic in his jaw.

I'm overcome with shame. Add to that, his scent drifts into my nostrils, and it becomes hard not to clench my thighs together.

I walk further into the house, coming closer to him.

"Did you eat?"

I nod and drift closer to him.

He clenches his jaw and nods.
"Just inform me or Sebastian next time you'll be coming home late."

"Of course Anthony. Thanks for waiting up."