Chapter 94: Aetherial

Mulai dari awal

While its wings were not markedly different, the cockpit stood out. Unlike the typical Antares and its variants, this aircraft featured a pressurized bubble canopy with an elevated and unobstructed view. Such an innovation was uncommon in Gra Valkan aircraft and was typically associated with much more modern nations or civilizations decades ahead. Notably, there were no metal frames; it was a pure frameless bubble canopy.

Below its fuselage, there was an eye-catching feature, a large tubular apparatus. It wasn't a fuel tank or torpedoes but an incredibly large, short-barreled cannon. For its size, this innovation was considered novel by everyone who saw it. Gra Valkans had previously relied on larger guns like their 35mm and 47mm wing-mounted modular autocannon pods for anti-tank and material targeting. Doubling the diameter of the cannon appeared to be a significant improvement in terms of power and lethality. What set this craft apart was its remarkable speed, both in terms of diving speed and the altitude it could reach. Not even the pressurized variant or the turbocharger-equipped Antares III could match its ceiling. The only aircraft that could outperform it in altitude was the Guti Maun super heavy bomber, but that craft was designed for bombing missions, not the high-speed agility of fighters like the Slepnier or the Antares III.

"Archon to Forsche II, Formation 25 is proceeding at an altitude of 3.3, bearing 092. Sectors A61 to A63 are clear of any hostiles."

Gra Valkan combat air patrol typically consist of not so low numbers, ranging from two to four dozen aircraft at the minimum. They don't operate individually on the battlefield, except in the rear of the line of actual control of either side. Deploying a single unit in a combat scenario is not considered a viable strategy as they are 90% be killed before they could relay the information of potential hostile presence.

Currently, they are flying over the skies of Leifor, which has been extensively ravaged by airstrikes and bombing formations. Forest fires are raging uncontrollably, one of many such fires throughout the front. There is no intervention to extinguish these fires unless it obstructs the strategic objectives of either belligerent.

"Forsche II to Formation 25, proceed to sector A31. We have received intelligence about a potentially isolated Annonrial armored column consisting of 2 to 3 armored units and up to two dozen infantry. Our forward scouts have reported that they lack any artillery support. Therefore, you are reassigned to engage and eliminate this target, over."

"Affirmative, Forsche II. Formation 25 will engage and eliminate the target in sector A31, over."

As the person put down the radio, he glanced below, where the ground billowed with smoke, scarred fields, and abandoned, ruined settlements. His eyes grew weary from gazing at the ground, a scene of hellfire, devastation, mayhem, anarchy, death, and suffering.

The captain of this formation, typically should held by a major, had to be filled by captain-level pilots due to war situation. Most of the majors had been killed or recalled to their homeland to train and teach new recruits in return to increase their chances of survivality, as there were hundreds of formations like this established. This was true both in Leifor and on the mainland, which was under attack by sporadic remnants of the 17th fleet. Their aim was to force the Gra Valkans to redistribute their troops and exert pressure on the populace, hoping to induce submission or cause anarchy. While their efforts had partially succeeded, they had barely made a dent in the industrial might and tenacity of Cabal and Gra Valkan Imperial Military.

He's only 23 years old, was shoved into service at military conscription at the age of 19 during the first Gra Valkan-Muish border war. But he was unable to participate. Before the actual conflict in the second border war, it was an eye-opener for him. He was originally optimistic about them winning wars against the barbarians of this world. However, the Muish guerilla warfare and large formations that matched their homeland, their armies, their air force, and their artillery that ravaged the battlegrounds of northern Leifor taught him something else - not optimism, but the grim reality of war.