Chapter Thirteen

"Hey Less, It's me. Call me back?" Evelyn left a voicemail, hoping the striker would call her back. Marie had convinced her to tell Alessia. She had said that it was 'better to be truthful'
In a way thats true, but it could cause an rift between the pair, or could even ruin their relationship. Whereas if Evelyn convinced Toby not to publish it, she would never know.
"There's an Arsenal match coming up, you going?" Marie passed her the coffee "If you are, can I come?"
"Depends if Alessia hates me, she normally gets me front row tickets"
"That sounds like fun, it'd let me get a good look at that McCabe" She raises her eyebrows, sucessfully trying to make the girl laugh.
"What happened between you and..." Evelyn trailed off "Forgotten the latest one's name"
"Don't even" Marie warned "Anyway, you make it seem like dating a football is so much fun! Thought I might give it a try"
The pair giggled and continued their conversation, until Evelyn's phone started to ring.
"Shit, shit, shit" The girl swore "I can't do this"
"Fucking answer it, or I will"
Walking away from her best friend, Evelyn answered it. "Hey Lessi"
"Hey, you told me to call you?"
"Yeah so" She laughs dryly "There's something I need to talk to you about, it's rather urgent"
"Well I'll be over later, but if it's an emergency then you could come here. I'm at training right now" Alessia replied, with a breathless air to her voice; indicating she was working out.
She debated her options "It's okay, just come over right away"
"Is everything alright?"
"I'm not sure"

Evelyn opened the door "Hey" She lent in to the girl, initiating a hug.
"Hey darling, you okay?" She lent in, inhaling the sweet scent of Evelyn's perfume.
She tried to form her sentance, but her nerves got the better of her. Her eyes welled up with tears and she hid her face into Alessia's neck "Fuck, Lessi I've screwed up"
The blonde cradled Evelyn, trying to console her "I'm sure you haven't my love"
"Oh Less, I don't deserve you" She wailed "You're going to hate me"
"I could never hate you"
"You will when I tell you"
Alessia rocked with the girl in her arms "I love you, and anyway, I'm sure you can make it up to me"
Still hearing those 3 words made Evelyn's heart swell "I love you too but I've seriously fucked up"
"Okay, how about we sit down and you tell me what you did?"
She nodded in agreement.

"You what?" The silence was broken by Alessia's cracked voice.
"I was going to delete it" Evelyn tried to put her hand on top of the blonde's, who immediately shook it off "I'm so sorry"
The pair plunged into silence again as Alessia attempted to process the betrayal.
"How could you do this to me? How could you write about it as if you didn't want it as much as me"
"Less, it's not true! I wrote this when we were arguing, I wasn't thinking straight" She tried to justify her words "Look, I love you. And I know that doesn't fix it, but I really do! I'm still that girl at the stadium, the one who kissed you in the car park."
"Please don't publish it" Her head was hung and tear drops started falling from her eyes "Please, I'm begging you"
"I don't want to publish it, the only thing I want is you. I'd sacrafice my job if it meant I could keep you" Evelyn rested her hand on Alessia's thigh "I love you and yes I've already said it but I'll keep saying it because it's the truth"
"Fuck, I can't even" She rested her head on the journalists shoulder "We've never had an easy time have we?"
Evelyn kissed her head and laughed "No, but I wouldn't want to be with anyone else"
"This doesn't mean we're good, I just want a hug"
Wrapping her arm around Alessia's shoulders "I'll give you all the hugs you want"
"You've ruined the moment now, that's too corny"