She gives me a small but unsure smile. "Did you sleep?"

I shake my head and she rolls her eyes, probably fighting the urge to badger me about resting. "Atlas and Thalia are going to pick us up from the airport."

A real smile comes across her face this time, and I know she is excited to see them. "No, June?"

"She's resting a little. She doesn't fly much anymore," I say, and she nods her head.

The plane prepares for landing and soon enough, we're back on California soil. We spend the next hour going through passport control, getting our bags and my boards, and walking to the exit of the airport.

I roll our cases as we walk through the airport towards the exit. I see Atlas's shaggy mop of hair before anything else. He really needs to get a haircut.

Gabi squeals, running over to hug Thalia, who is taken aback, and stumbles as she chuckles. The stark difference between the friends is easy to see. Thalia has been more reserved since her accident, and even though she has worked through a lot, she became quieter. Whereas Gabi has always been more energetic and bubbly.

"I feel very unloved right now," Atlas says, watching the girls hug before he turns to me. "Why don't I get that welcome from you?"

I raise my eyebrow. "It's not like you ran over and hugged me."

He chuckles, shaking his head before hugging me and patting my back. "Good to see you, man. How's the tour been so far?"

"Ups and downs, but nothing new there," I say, shrugging before the girls split up and I go to hug Thalia. "Keeping him out of trouble?"

She rolls her eyes with a small smile as Atlas finishes hugging Gabi and wraps his arm around his girlfriend. "As much as I can."

"That's hurtful," Atlas says, placing his hand to his heart. "We've got a rental outside. June was asleep when we left, but she knows what time you're coming, so I'm sure she'll be awake."

"How was she on the flight over?" I ask Atlas as we head outside towards the rental car they got.

"She was talking to everyone, and I mean everyone on that flight getting their life stories," Atlas tells me, and I chuckle. "How's it been traveling with this one, Gabs?"

Atlas points to me and I roll my eyes.

"Being his fake girlfriend has its perks, paying a guy to take a boat out for snorkeling, getting into VIP areas at nightclubs," Gabi trails off, listing things.

"Too bad you have to look at his face every day," Atlas jokes, and I push him as he laughs.

Reaching the rental car, we throw our things into the back, and soon enough we're heading to the Airbnb. We make small talk on the way, Gabi and Thalia catching up with everything, meanwhile Atlas and I talk about surfing and my season.

Soon enough, we're pulling up to the rental and bringing our things inside. Grandma sits on the couch in the living area and her face lights up as soon as we walk through the door.

"You're here!" she says, walking over to us. "Move, I want to see Gabi."

She pushes me out of the way as everyone laughs, and she engulfs Gabi in a hug. Gabi smiles, hugging her back tightly. They speak to each other quietly for a moment as they hug before pulling back.

"Oh, so now I get a hug?" I say as grandma comes and hugs me.

"Oh hush, you know I missed you too," she says, and I chuckle. "Please tell me you've been taking care of this sweet girl."