Chapter 2: The office

UNDER WHAT circumstances that you would imagine to meet your ex-boyfriend in your desired office? Never! I did not expect to meet him anywhere or just even see him from afar. I thought he decided to live in the province so why here in Manila?

My brows creased as I tried to comprehend the situation that I fell into. This was never the route that I planned to cross. Okay na e. Nakikita ko na yung magandang future tapos biglang humarang naman siya sa visualization ko. The nerve of this guy to enter the scene!

"Right, Ms. Jocson?"

"Huh?"

I was thrown back to reality when Koa suddenly cleared his throat and looked at me intensely with a sly grin on his face. "I was explaining what this company is all about earlier and you just keep on bobbing your head. So I guess you don't need much of those details or should I explain further?"

Taken aback with his sarcastic tone, I opted to explain our company instead of just nodding or shaking my head. "Well, J & J hardware is one of the businesses under Jocson Industrial Corporation. This company particularly caters building home and infrustrature supplies of machines, materials, equipment, and decorations for both wholesalers and retailers." Then I gave him a forced wide smile but with a scrunched eyes.

However, that look on my face easily switched into an annoyed grimace when he shifted his focus away from me. Bigla na lang niya akong iniwasan ng tingin na para bang baliwala lang sa kanya ang pang-aasar na ginawa ko. Well, I guess, I succeeded on not making it too obvious, kaya ganoon. Of course, I needed to test the water first.

"Then you don't need introduction regarding what the company does or what this company is all about. Let's move on to what department you are under or what department we are under." From a straight, serious, and professionally looking face, he suddenly gave me the same look I showed him earlier. "Okay?"

So I responded with a nod in my unguarded expression. I supressed my deep sigh as I tried to control my temper when he looked away. Nagawa ko rin siyang samaan ng tingin saglit. Hindi ko alam pero iritang-irita ako sa pagmumukha niya. Those beady stares with his oddly good simper smile. He always hit a nerve on me with whatever he was doing.

Koa moved to the bulletin board where an organization chart was placed. "Marketing department," he stated after pointing a branch under the executives. Then he traced the line down our section and stopped to look back at me. "So we are here in the market research unit. Our work includes conducting surveys and interviews, proposing strategies, and learning machines to adapt modernization of the industry. And we have a team here. . ." After introducing the overview function of this office, Koa faced the couple of cubicles in this room.

He pointed the first one, the nearest on the door. A girl with a very approaching aura as she moved cheerfully while doing phone calls. "She's Catherine, a third-year business management major, one of the on-the-job trainees here in the marketing department." Bigla naman itong napalingon sa amin at biglang ngumiti saka kumaway pa.

Koa proceeded to introduce the others. "Behind her is Nola, a good friend of mine, she's one of our market research associates in this unit. Notorious for being a snub, sassy, and. . ." He cleared his throat. "Pretty."

I didn't even need to hear that. He even emphasized?! So what? I mean, who cares? May thing yata. Maybe? Pakialam ko naman. With those thoughts, my eyes quickly rolled.

"On the corner is Florence, the one behind Nola there. All I can say, a hundred percent introverted genius. Also our market research associate."

I couldn't take a glimpse on Nola and Florence. Nakaharang ang mga cubicle at makikita ko rin naman siguro sila mamaya dahil mahaba pa ang araw. Saka mahirap nang mang-abala para lang makaharap yung mga tao, gets naman siguro ni Koa 'yon.

"Then here's our market research analyst, Yno, a nerd when it comes to technology. I really need that guy, though he still needs to learn a lot of things." Koa faced me. "Hence, lahat naman ng tao rito ay key person, may ginagawa lahat, walang tapon, walang tamad. Lahat importante," he concluded after introducing the team.

Kahit ako? Dapat lang!

"In relation to that, according to your MOA, your job descriptions are listed here." He opened a folder and flipped few pages with his veiny hand. Luh, flexing.

"You'll be the focal person in terms of secretariat functions and most of the logistic concerns. It is your responsibility to collate all the necessary manuscripts to comply with procurement process and to keep track on our records to report for the marketing department. You have to prepare vouchers and process payments diligently. Like everyone here, you are tasked to attend seminar-workshops and meetings, and to also support the communication needs of this office. Lastly, as an administrative assistant, you have to undertake duties assigned by your immediate supervisor slash the head of your unit, the principal investigator," he interpreted. Koa even showed a winning smile on his last statement.

"Which is you?" I assumed.

"Yes!" Koa declared. He even chuckled, then sashayed his way to my cubicle. "Anyway, feel free to ask me anything if you have concerns. You can also ask everyone here, para naman magkaroon ka ng kaibigan dito."

"What?" My reflexes were fast enough so I couldn't think for a better response for what he said. I surely knew what was the meaning between the lines. Is he saying na wala akong kaibigan? Since college, I have genuine friends. They're two, Honey and Patch.

Koa slapped the air, trying to avoid that conversation. "Anyway, you can now sit here and feel at peace. You can check the storage box on your right below your desk. Nandyan yung files na kailangan mong i-scan at nandoon din yung mga external hard drives na pinaglalagyan ng files. Please check the links for soft copy storage as well."

And with an annoying smile, he uttered, "Are we clear, Ms. Jocson?"